[Summit] gardener's delights

hennypenny at cox.net hennypenny at cox.net
Wed Jun 18 17:12:43 UTC 2008

Thank you, Amanda!

When we lived on the East Side, my favorite place for perennials and annuals was Four Town Farm in Seekonk on the Barrington line.

We just landscaped (ourselves) the front of our Warwick house near the beach, and found the absolute best deals on very healthy shrubs and trees at Airport Nursery on Route 113 in Warwick. They are definitely worth the trip.

Airport Nursery is mostly a wholesale place for landscaping companies but they sell to homeowners as well. The prices are excellent and there is a lot to choose from. I found the prices to be at least 1/3 less than at Lowe's, and the selection much bigger and healthier.

Also, you get to wave to the people inside planes taking off from Green Airport.  (LOL)

- Anne
Summit emerita
PS:  Please walk by our former house at 9 Lewis St. off Hope and wave hello to my peonies, roses and other perennials. I miss them terribly!  Feel free to pull weeds. The current owner is an investor who rents out the house and I believe it's vacant right now.  No one, to my knowledge, is taking care of the lawn or gardens.  *sob*  :-(

---- Amanda Woodward <awoodward7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I put this list together for a friend and thought that other gardeners might benefit from it as well...

Below is a list of my favorite nurseries:

Wildwood Nursery E. Greenwich - somehow this nursery has a terrific selection for it's size - it is one of my favorite.  Fair prices.  Gals running it are really helpful. http://www.wildwoodri.com/

Tranquil Lake - it is a catalog source for siberian and japanese irises, and daylilies - it is work the trip just to see the flowers in bloom.  awesome special varieties.  http://www.tranquil-lake.com/

Seven Arrows - mostly shade plants - very pleasant to browse http://www.gardenguides.com/resources/nurseries/nursery.asp?store=2041956

Little Tree Nursery, out rt 152 - great for trees and bushes - fair prices and very nice people http://www.gardenguides.com/resources/nurseries/nursery.asp?store=2041956

Peckham Greenhouse, Little Compton - excellent selection, unusual plants and varieties, very knowledgeable staff, fair pricing http://www.gardenguides.com/resources/landscaping/landscaper.asp?store=695245

Potting Shed, Portsmouth - good selection of garden art, bamboos, japanese maples, etc... http://gardens.com/go/view/7815/

Syvan Nursery, Hourseneck Road, Westport MA - unbelievable selection of heathers, rhodys, laurels, grasses, blueberries, etc... anything that grows well here. Well worth the trip.  Trees were pricey. http://www.sylvannursery.com/

Briggs N. Attleboro - very pricey but great for tree selection and roses are excellent. They have been under a total reconstruction, so it would be worth going to see it.  http://www.briggsgarden.com/

And last but not least, Lowes has great trees.  I have bought a few there at dirt cheap prices and have had good results.