[Summit] to all dog walkers

Mikaila Mariel Lemonik Arthur mmlarthur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:05:00 CDT 2014

In most cities, people expect to put dog poop in public trash
receptacles. In places where people live in large apartment buildings,
that may be the only choice, as no one wants poop in the trash rooms on
every floor of the building. Now, as has been pointed out several times
in the past few weeks, we may have a problem with the public trash
receptacles not being emptied frequently enough, and that clearly
contributes to the odors some people have mentioned. But our (rare)
public trash receptacles are really not that smelly--spend an August in
New York City if you want to know what smelly garbage is like, and
believe me it is not the dog poop that does it.

I think the bigger problem is how very rare the trash receptacles are.
As someone who lives on the route pedestrians take between Miriam and
the bus stop on North Main St., I know that our block suffers from an
enormous quantity of litter, particularly food wrappers, beverage cups,
and Walgreens receipts. Some people are lazy, of course, and would
litter regardless, but I expect that having a trash can somewhere along
this typical walking route would reduce the litter problem.
--
Mikaila Mariel Lemonik Arthur
mmlarthur at gmail.com <mailto:mmlarthur at gmail.com>