[Summit] Local Gas Savings & Charitable Options

Hope for Health libertyliterary at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 22:04:24 CDT 2014

This morning, while walking down Hope Street,I noticed to my surprise
that the newly reopened Citgo station near the end of Blackstone Blvd.
was offering gas at the pump for $3.49 a gallon.  I talked to the owner
for a while about this - as the station had always been too expensive
for our budget, yet I always buy from Citgo if possible because it provides
money to the Venezuelan people, not just wealthy corporate honchos.

Certainly, Citgo is no angel - has had its problems.  Still, compared to
far worse companies such as Exxon, BP, Hess, etc., it at least does
some good.  The station owner told me about how Joe Kennedy,
starting a non-profit to provide heating oil to the poor, was refused
any cooperation from all the oil companies -- except Citgo.
See: http://citizensenergy.com/ and
www.citizensenergy.com/assistance-programs/joe-4-oil

One other point about the Hope/Blackstone Citgo - The owner
explained the cheap price as his alternative to a big advertising
budget re: the station's reopening - and his policy of full service
as a way to keep his five employees working.  He seemed sincere.
Anyway, as indicated, the choice is between rich corporations that
collect taxpayer subsidies instead of paying taxes on their billions
of profit and a company with some indications of social contribution.
So, I choose Citgo - and will be buying gas tomorrow at this one.
No guarantee how long the super cheap price will last, but the goal
seems to be to hold the price down.  I hope that works out.

Just something to consider...

Blessings,

Liberty G