[Summit] #49 bus elimination; also RIPTA to Logan Airport

Greg Gerritt gerritt at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 24 18:43:05 CDT 2014

RIPTA decided not to cancel the 49,.

From:  Kate Sanders <katesndrs at yahoo.com>
Date:  Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:14:24 -0700
To:  Summit Neighborhood <Summit at sna.providence.ri.us>
Subject:  [Summit] #49 bus elimination; also RIPTA to Logan Airport

If there's someone who wants to speak out for this route, I'd be happy to
hear it, but otherwise, this seems like a reasonable place for RIPTA to cut.
The Hope Street and North Main street parts of the route are well served by
other buses, and the stop at Miriam is a short, easy walk to the stop at
Hope and Sixth.  I took the 49 last spring, and was the only person on the
bus for the last third of the route or so. This is just one datapoint, but I
understand that RIPTA's data also indicate low ridership.

One other big change that RIPTA has made affects Summit in a positive way:
it is now possible to take the Route 1 (formerly 42) bus to South Attleboro,
from there to the train, then to the Silver Line, and finally to Logan
Airport. I tried this on the way home last week, and it was great --
definitely an improvement over the various public transit options we've
tried before:  (1) taking Peter Pan and walking home from the bus station;
(2) taking Peter Pan and taking a cab home; (3) taking Peter Pan to KP and
taking the 42 home; or (4) taking the train to downtown Providence, dragging
your suitcase to the 42 bus stop, and taking the 42 home. It was cheaper and
more comfortable than any of the Peter Pan options; and more convenient (and
probably quicker) than taking the train to downtown Providence, walking to
the 42, and taking the 42 back to Summit.

Some tips:
1) There's no station or even a sign for the RIPTA stop when you get off the
train at South Attleboro. The road directly in front of you makes a "C"
around a parking lot; if you cut straight across the parking lot, you get to
the part of the road where the RIPTA stop is (across from a gas station),
and there is finally a sign.
2) There are at least two RIPTA bus lines that go there now, so make sure
you get the Route 1.
3) The 42 (Route 1) only goes to South Attleboro every 40 minutes or so, so
check the schedule to make sure it works for you.

ks

Message: 2