[Summit] Overnight parking (was Re: SNA Meeting addressing area crime, Crime Watch, & Overnight Parking)

Francisco pacolovera at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:58:35 CDT 2014

Nate,

You are correct.  The parking ban would not deter crime during the daylight hours or through the time that parking was allowed (up to 1 am?)  What I heard directly from a former police chief in Providence is that as a patrol man if you see a car parked in front of someone's house at late hours you can easily assume that the car either does not belong to the neigborhood (best case visitor or forgeful homeowner) and write down the plate.  If a crime in the area is committed, you have at least one lead.  With many cars on the street it becomes more labor intensive to do a scope of all the streets and check every single car wihtou a sticker every day.  I totally concur with you, the parking ban does not help to deter crime during the day when most people are at work

Also, as neighbors, I agree with you, we can tell when there is a new car in the neigborhood.  Which again, requires eyes on the street.  These may not happen when people are not necessarily looking (at work or at night)  If it wasn't for my neighbor who feeds her baby at 4 am, we would have no lead whatsoever on the recent break ins.

As a recent victim of one of these crimes, I am oversensitive to cars (especially unfamiliar ones) on my street.

Conclusion, removing the parking ban has its pros and cons.  More effective policing at night is one of the cons.  We, as neighbors, decide the weigh in the pros and cons and request a solution (re: parking ban) on each block.  After all, we are in a democratic society.

Francisco J. Lovera