[Summit] Kevin Jackson on his claims of misunderstanding the rules

Michaela O'Donnell michaelao at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 22:13:02 UTC 2014

At last week's Ward 3 candidates forum, hosted by the Summit Neighborhood
Association, Councilman Kevin Jackson repeatefly claimed he didn’t know he
was supposed file campaign finance reports and that he didn't file any
because he doesn’t raise money or spend contributions.  He apologized to
the crowd by saying something to the effect ‘I’m sorry you are offended if
you think I did something wrong’.

But here are the facts.  Jackson has been sued by the RI Board of Elections
two separate times (2004 and 2011), fined two separate times, and ordered
by a Rhode Island Superior Court Judge to file his reports two separate
times.  But yet he still refuses to comply with the law.   Jackson
currently owes taxpayers over $30K in fines and hasn’t filed reports.  To
make matters worse, there’s a pending investigation about his violations
with the State Attorney General’s Office.

With all of this, you think that our councilman would figure out the legal
requirements, but he hasn’t.  Jackson keeps on violating the law.  During
the past few weeks, Jackson held a campaign fundraiser at Hope Street Pizza
and has spent money on his campaign, but he still refused to file!

Either this guy isn’t telling the truth or he is incapable of figuring his
responsibilities as an elected official.  It’s embarrassing for our
neighborhood (and city) to be represented by someone who behaves this way.
More importantly, it undermines the public’s trust in government.

I consider myself a ‘progressive’ but I don’t understand how people can
support a candidate – even if they vote the right way on the issues I care
about – that is involved in unethical behavior that undermines the public
trust.  Flagrantly violating campaign finances laws is a disqualification
from public office, period.  If the general public doesn’t believe that
government is on the up-and-up, it undermines the progressive mission – to
make sure that government is trusted in its critical work to level the
playing field and make peoples’ lives better.

I’m relieved to have an alternative to vote for on Tuesday and I will be
writing in Marcus Mitchell.

Jackson Campaign Violation History

In 2014, the R.I. State Board of Elections brought action against Jackson
for having raised nearly $5,000 in contributions despite claiming he
doesn’t do that.  The board unanimously found facts to support violation of
campaign finances laws and referred the matter to the Attorney General’s
office. Also, according to the Board of Elections minutes, he was defended
by Attorney Artin Coloian – former Chief of Staff to Buddy Cianci.
HYPERLINK "
http://sos.ri.gov/documents/publicinfo/omdocs/minutes/132/2014/34465.pdf"
http://sos.ri.gov/documents/publicinfo/omdocs/minutes/132/2014/34465.pdf

Much of the rest of the history is described in the Providence Journal
Article of Nov. 3, 2011 (State sues candidates, officials, to collect
unpaid fines).

Jackson failed to disclose his donors and contributors and was sued by the
State of RI in 2004 – and was forced to file reports – and paid fines of
$2900.

Then he refused to file reports again, racking up over $23,000 in fines and
was sued again in 2011.  Only after that, did he pay fines and file some of
the reports.

Despite being sued two separate times, our councilman has again been fined
over $30,000 from the state and has not filed reports in 2013 or 2014.

http://www.ricampaignfinance.com/RIPublic/Filings.aspx

Report Type Begin End Due Report Status Original Filed Amended
2014 On-Going Qrtly (4th) 12/02/2014 12/31/2014 02/02/2015 No
2014 28 Days After Election 10/28/2014 12/01/2014 12/02/2014 No
2014 7 Days Before Election 10/07/2014 10/27/2014 10/28/2014 Past Due No
2014 28 Days Before Election 07/01/2014 10/06/2014 10/07/2014 Past Due No
2014 On-Going Qrtly (2nd) 04/01/2014 06/30/2014 07/31/2014 Past Due No
2014 On-Going Qrtly (1st) 01/01/2014 03/31/2014 04/30/2014 Past Due No
2013 On-Going Qrtly (4th) 10/01/2013 12/31/2013 01/31/2014 Past Due No