[Summit] Fwd from Sam Zurier: Blackstone Blvd traffic, Schools, Firefighters

Jeffrey Cavanaugh jeff at cavanaugh.org
Mon Dec 14 16:36:40 UTC 2015

We have narrow lanes now, since the bike lanes were added, and mostly it
seems things have slowed things down without really increasing congestion.

I think neck downs need to be zig-zagged to be effective, and come right up
to the travel lane. The Lorimer neck downs seem to have mixed results.
Maybe neck downs and some raised crosswalks could accomplish as much for
less cost and less impact to plowing.

The plan as it is now is better than adding a bunch of stop signs, IMHO,
but seem heavy on the humps. In winters like last year, the impact of all
those humps on plowing will be significant, and big shots will complain.
I'm tired of paying for things that then have to be undone.

I have reservations about  the 2 way on one side idea. Commonwealth ave in
Newton is like that, and it is just not as nice as what we have.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see the center median widened, and the
center path widened to accommodate runners, walkers, roller blades and
cyclists. This would narrow the car lanes, prevent cars from using bike
lanes as passing lanes, make pedestrian crossings of pavement shorter, move
the cyclists away from the dreaded car doors opening from the parking lane,
and net increase the green space.

Another option, would be to move the bike lanes up against the curbs on
both sides,  followed by parking, followed by travel. Between bike and
parking, have a small strip of pavement (wide enough to keep cyclists clear
of opening doors and emerging passengers.  This would likely be cheaper to
implement and keeps people safe). Crosswalks would still be long unless you
incorporate them with neck downs.