[Summit] Snowstorm 4 bulletin 2: Wayland Sq., Verizon, MBTA

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 22:50:34 UTC 2015

Not so many alerts as I'd expected this afternoon, but that's very likely to change tonight and tomorrow.

Have a good Valentine's Day and Presidents' Day weekend.

Dave

1. Wayland Square this weekend
2. Verizon High Speed
3. MBTA slows Saturday and shuts down Sunday

# 1. Wayland Square this afternoon and tomorrow

It began to snow just as I walked to Wayland Square about 2:15 on Saturday afternoon, and was snowing quite steadily when I returned before 4, while conditions were still passable and not yet windy.

The Wayland Square Diner, CVS, the Olive Tap and (I presume) Eastside Mart on Elmgrove & Lloyd should maintain their usual hours tonight and tomorrow. Starbucks will close early at 7 p.m. tonight and may open later than usual on Sunday morning (perhaps about 7 a.m.); call ahead to check.

Since Books on the Square and The Butcher Shop (Elmgrove & President) usually close when there's a parking ban and one is coming at 2 a.m. Sunday, they should be closed tomorrow. Depending on conditions, Books on the Square may also close early tonight.

At about 3:30 p.m. CVS seemed still to have modest but adequate supplies of milk, juice, eggs and newspapers. However, I saw no loaves of bread at all.

I haven't visited Eastside Mart to compare their stocks, nor did I check any other local businesses. Those who did are more than welcome to share their own observations.

# 2. Verizon High Speed Internet

Saturday, February 14, 2015 3:41 AM

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

There’s no doubt that this winter has been one for the ages. As another major snowstorm approaches this weekend, rest assured that we are prepared to quickly resolve any potential issues. Whether brief or lengthy, a power outage is one of the most common storm-related occurrences. Knowing that, we’d like to provide you with some helpful information in preparation of a potential outage.

What should I do in the event of a power outage?

Visit http://www.verizon.com/outage from your computer, smartphone, or wireless device to:
• 	Track current outages
• 	Find answers to equipment repair and backup service questions
• 	Create a "Repair Request" if needed

Do I need to reset anything once power is restored?

Most issues can be resolved by unplugging and plugging your Verizon equipment back in (Modem, Router, etc). If that doesn't resolve your issues, you may need to reboot your HSI modem by following these instructions.

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/internet/highspeed/troubleshooting/connection+issues/questionsone/86237.htm

 For additional troubleshooting assistance, download our In-Home Agent application.

https://care.verizon.net/iha/IHAPC.aspx

Thank you for choosing Verizon. We hope you have a safe winter.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

# 3. All of MBTA shuts down Sunday

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

Severe Weather Update - February 14, 2015

http://www.mbta.com/winter/

What to expect when winter weather hits.

Due to the impending blizzard conditions, all MBTA services will be suspended Sunday, February 15th. There will be no Subway, Trolley, Commuter Rail, THE RIDE, Bus, or Ferry service the entire day.

The MBTA is taking this action to ensure the safety of our customers and employees, which is our top priority. The projected heavy snow and high winds will significantly inhibit the MBTA’s ability to deliver safe and reliable service. Trees and power lines could come down, and visibility will be hampered. Additionally, the MBTA is concerned that a train could break down between stations, resulting in a track right-of-way evacuation that would put customers, employees and emergency responders at risk.

The suspension of service will also allow MBTA crews to keep clearing snow and ice from tracks, the third rail and switches. A decision about the status of service for Monday will be made Sunday.

The MBTA will not be offering 'Late Night" bus or subway services Saturday night/Sunday morning (February 14-15). The last subway trains will depart downtown Boston no later than 12:50 a.m. This will allow MBTA personnel to get a jump start on snow-clearing operations and other maintenance activity before 3:30 a.m. (when Late Night service would typically end). The MBTA apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.

The Commuter Rail will continue to operate on published Saturday schedules on Saturday, February 14.

The Green, Orange, and Blue Lines will continue to operate on Saturday, February 14, but with fewer cars and less frequent service.

Limited Red Line service will be available between Alewife and Ashmont Stations. Red Line trains will also resume on the Braintree branch to North Quincy Station with shuttle bus replacement of Red Line trains between North Quincy and Braintree Stations through Saturday February 14. This means that Braintree branch subway service between North Quincy and Braintree Stations is replaced with shuttle buses through the end of service on Friday and Saturday. Customers are strongly encouraged to use Commuter Rail service that will stop at Braintree and Quincy Center.

Buses will replace service on the Mattapan Trolley Line from start to end of service on Saturday, February 14.

[For details of limited service today, Sat. 14 Feb., see http://www.mbta.com/winter/ ]

Due to the impending Blizzard, parking will be prohibited in all open MBTA station parking lots from 7:00 p.m. Saturday, February 14, 2015, until 5:00 a.m. Monday, February 16, 2015. All vehicles left in MBTA station parking lots are subject to towing. Please plan your alternative parking arrangements accordingly. Please note that parking in MBTA garages will continue to be permitted, but availability may be limited. Lynn, Beverly, Salem and Wonderland garages will continue to have low availability during the storm and immediately after. Additional parking availability information can be found here. Illegally parked vehicles in garages that are found to be blocking pedestrian access ways and/or traffic lanes will be subject to towing. Passengers are encouraged to park in garages only when leaving their vehicle on the premises overnight.

As always, the latest service information can be found at the MBTA's winter resource hub: mbta.com/winter. Customers are also urged to check T-Alerts regularly for updates or to join our 106,000 followers on Twitter @MBTA. For Commuter Rail updates, we ask commuters to follow the MBTA Commuter Rail on Twitter @MBTA_CR.

The MBTA appreciates the patience of its loyal customers as it works to restore service to the levels they expect and deserve.

Updated: 2:00 p.m., Feb 14, 2015