[Summit] Snowstorm 4 bulletin 3: Wayland Sq., Mayor, State Police, Transit

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 15 02:36:24 CST 2015

Here are some more storm notices, some of them repeating earlier announcements but some of them new.

Although the late news reported statements from the governors of both Rhode Island and Massachusetts, I couldn't find their words easily at their web sites.

Let's hope that the snow and wind isn't so great as seems to be likely.

Good luck to all,

Dave

1. Wayland Square Valentine's Night
2. Mayor of Providence
3. RI State Police
4. Public Transportation
4 a. RIPTA
4 b. MBTA
4 c. Amtrak
5. Boston Sunday Globe deliveries

# 1. Lloyd & Elmgrove, Saturday night

Because I anticipate a long indoor stay Sunday and much of Monday, I ventured around the corner just before 10 p.m. Saturday for a visit to Eastside Mart --- formerly Bahra's --- on Lloyd just below Elmgrove.

This was during a lull in the snow and wind, so the main problem was several inches of new uncleared snow, forcing pedestrians into the tracks left by some of the few cars still around.

Eastside Mart was open and had replenished much of its stock. So milk, eggs, bread, juice and pet food were in reasonable supply, as well as a greater stock of cans and packaged food than after last Monday's storm.

# 2. Messages from Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza
and Chief Operating Officer Brett Smiley

(thanks to Cheryl Simmons and Eileen Koshgarian)

A. Message on snow removal process from Brett Smiley:

Residents will hopefully also note that we've done significant snow removal throughout the city and on Hope Street and Wickenden Street on the East Side.

We're prepared to tow tonight to take advantage of the parking ban and plow the entire streets. With the timing of this storm most plowing will take place tomorrow and into Monday morning.

After this storm is over we'll resume the removal process. Note that this can only be done at night and is slow and expensive.

Finally, we'll be working to consider some temporary no parking on narrow side streets. We know the streets in college hill and elsewhere are very difficult to pass when cars are parked there. We'll be working to make one side no parking on many of them until we can properly widen the streets.

B. Message from Mayor Elorza regarding upcoming storm: