[Summit] Summit Digest, Vol 118, Issue 13

Sumati Eberstadt sumieber at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 12:21:15 UTC 2015

Is this all because of a couple of emails from our resident looney? As far as I can tell, our list has only one troll, who sends out delusional but monotonously repetitive emails from time to time. Honestly, when I saw Fr Eng’s post, I thought “Oh look! He/she/it is back! I wonder what set this off!” and deleted them. (It would be interesting to graph their occurrence, as often Fr Eng does not seem to be responding to anything particular at all.) And yet, the knickers are all in a twist around here. Because of two uninteresting but mean-spirited emails.

It’s not like we have a gang of persisted trolls filling our inboxes everyday. It’s pretty much this one sad creature, but he/she/it apparently pushes some buttons, as we used to say. Couldn’t we just treat it like the village nutcase, sigh, mutter “how sad” and hit delete? I’m really surprised that this person elicits such strong responses, every time. Am I missing something? Should I feel threatened?

Sumati