[Summit] Lippet Park Fountain

Robert Mathiesen rmath13 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 20:03:38 CDT 2015

Gone are the days when kids could play outdoors wholly unsupervised.  The
dangers are not all that greater than when I was a boy.  Fatal or crippling
accidents did happen then, too, as did crime against children.  But the
social and legal sanctions on parents, if something ever should happen to a
child of theirs, have become ferocious and unforgiving, and we have all
become far more afraid of strangers than we were in the '40s and '50s.  The
fear is sometimes palpable and always corrosive.

But so many things are gone forever.  I remember when the night sky was so
dark that (if the moon was not full) one could see literally tens of
thousands of stars scattered across the very dark sky like diamonds on
black velvet.  And when one flew across the country at night, most of it
was wholly dark in the wee hours -- at most only a few scattered pairs of
headlights could be seen moving along a highway from horizon to horizon in
the darkened land below.  We have lost so much that was precious ...  It
does little good to mourn, even if what we have gained in return is tawdry
and banal.

Bob M