[Summit] More events this week: Water Mains overhaul, Art Book sale, City Budget deficits

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 12:42:48 CST 2016

Hello again,

After sending out my calendar this morning, I received additional items for this week from neighbors on the Blackstone list and Councillor Zurier’s weekly newsletter, pasted below. (I’d also forgotten to include the patron saint of Italy and carpenters with those of Wales and Ireland.)
Here’s an enhanced version of that calendar, with some glimpses into April.
Have a good week,
Dave

Monday 29 February        5:30 p.m. - Free screening of “Selma” about, the 1965 Selma-Montgomery, Alabama, civil rights march, followed by discussion (end of Black History Month film series), Rochambeau Library Community Room (bottom level),  708 Hope Street near Rochambeau Ave.

Tuesday 1 March    (St David’s Day)
(A) 6 a.m to 9 p.m. - Massachusetts primary elections

(B) 7 to 8:30 p.m. - West Broadway Neighborhood Association talks to Mayor Jorge Elorza and local legislators (City Councilors Mary Kay Harris, Ward 11 &  Bryan Principe, Ward 13 ; State Representatives John J. Lombardi, District 8, & Anastasia Williams, District 9 ; State Senators Paul V. Jabour, District 5, &  Harold Metts, District 6), Providence Hmong Church, 46 Dexter Street facing the Cranston St. Armory,. between Cranston Street and upper Westminster St.
Wednesday 2 March 6:30 p.m. - Providence Water staff will explain this year’s work in repairing and replacing water mains between Humboldt, President, Arlington and the Boulevard (see Sam Zurier’s newsletter below), Nathan Bishop School on Sessions above Elmgrove, opposite Brown Stadium and the Jewish Community Center

Thursday 3 March 8 p.m. (following 7 p.m. community reception) - Community Night at Brown University with discount tickets (and waiting-list for possible free ones) for “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, Stuart Theatre, 75 Waterman Street below the Faunce House Arch, between Brown & Thayer Streets. Enquiries, requests and reservations to Community at Brown.edu
Saturday 5 March       12 to 5 p.m. - Art & Architecture Book Sale to benefit the Friends of Rochambeau Library, in the library’s community room (bottom level), 708 Hope Street near Rochambeau (first hour reserved for Friends members)

Monday 7 March        7 p.m. - College Hill Neighborhood Association board of directors open public meeting, Gov. Lippitt House, 199 Hope Street at Angell

Tuesday 8 March    (Int’l Women’s Day)    7 to 8 p.m. - Waterman St. Dog Park committee monthly meeting, rear of Books on the Square, 471 Angell Street below Elmgrove (next to CVS)

Sunday 13 March        2 a.m. (EST) = 3 a.m.. (EDT) until 2 a.m (EDT) = 1 a.m. (EST) Sunday 6 November - Daylight Savings Time in effect over much of North America

Monday 14 March        7 p.m - Fox Point Neighborhood Association board discusses new and proposed parking meters with Mayor Elorza and other officials in the meeting room beneath the Vartan Gregorian School Library, Wickenden Street between Governor and Ives

Tuesday 15 March         4:45 p.m. - City Plan Commission considers revised plans for a 5-storey, 61-foot mixed-use building to replace former Tedeschi’s/Store 24 at 249 Thayer Street -  First floor auditorium of the Joseph Doorley (ex-Blue Cross) building, 444 Westminster Street across Empire St. from AS 220 and the Celtic Lounge/Finnegan’s Wake

Thursday 17 March    (St Patrick’s Day)    5 to 9 p.m. - Gallery Night Providence 2016 opens: free admission to RISD Museum and many other local art galleries
Saturday 19 March     (St Joseph’s Day)

Sunday 20 March    (Spring Equinox, Palm Sunday)    - Spring officially begins

Monday 21 March        7 p.m. - Summit Neighborhood Association board of directors monthly open public meeting, main floor café of Summit Commons (formerly Hillside Nursing Home) , 99 Hillside Avenue, top of the hill halfway between Gregg’s on North Main and Three Sisters on Hope, near the end of Blackstone Blvd

Wednesday 23 March    (Purim starts at dusk)
(A) 7 p.m. Neighborhood Discussion Group at Books on the Square monthly public meeting (see March 8 for location)

(B) 6 to 8 p.m. - Community Conversation about the future of the 6-10 highway Connector with three experts (Veronica Vanterpool, Ian Lockwood & Peter Park), Doorley Building auditorium, 444 Wesminster (see March 15 for location). More details at: http://www.providenceri.com/efile/6505

Good Friday 25 March
Easter Saturday 26 March
Easter Sunday 27 March
Easter Monday 28 March  to Sunday 3 April - ISU World Figure Skating Championships at Boston TD Garden
Among events coming up in April:Monday 11 April to Saturday 16 April - general Spring Book Sale of the Friends of Rochambeau Library
Friday 22 April dusk to dusk Saturday 30 April (Passover)

Tuesday 26 April - Rhode Island presidential primary elections
Wednesday 27 April - Annual General Membership Meeting of the Summit Neighborhood Association (Wayland Square's Wednesday meeting has been moved back to election eve, Monday the 25th)