[Summit] Projo: Brown plans to knock down 7 College Hill buildings

Robert Mathiesen rmath13 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 06:41:42 CST 2016

No, John, businesses probaby won't follow.  Small and local onea are alrady
here, the relatively few of them that remain in business.  At this point,
large businesses make most of their money in other ways than by satisfying
the needs of potential customers living in any particular city.  They
cleverly work the tax code, they offshore externalities and profits, they
appeal to short-term interests of potential and actual share-holders, etc.
etc.  In short, they are wealth-pumps that drain as much wealth as they
can, as rapidly as they can, from places where worth-while amounts of
wealth are still to be found, and once they have drained most of it from a
place, they leave that place.  (Read up about "food deserts," so called, in
this country.)  Our old way of life, based on continuing economic growth
for entire cities and states, is as dead and buried as the dodo, and it
isn't coming back -- ever.  And no one has any really good answer to the
question, What's next?  Not the "business-as usual" crowd, not any of the
visible national politicians, not any economist with any significant
following ...  The party is winding down ...