[Summit] Wayland Square column for August 2016 East Side Monthly

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 22:56:43 CDT 2016

Hi, Tony,

Here, finally, is my column as best I could compose it with incomplete information.

Sorry. as usual, for the delay, due to general uncertainty and personal flux during my move.

Good luck in putting the Community/Neighborhood News to bed for this month.

Now I have to find a Federal Hill location to pick up East Side Monthly.

Best wishes,

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neighborhood Discussion Group at Books on the Square

Monthly meetings:
Wednesdays, July 27 and August 24, from 7 to 8:45 p.m.,  Books on the Square, 471 Angell Street at Elmgrove Ave., next to CVS. Free and open to all.

Election forums:
Although no response had been received when this column was filed in early July, we hope to hear at either our July or August meeting the two candidates for the only local office contested in the Sept. 13 Democratic primary: incumbent state Rep. Chris Blazejewski and his former challenger from 2012, Dirk Hennessey.

Their earlier 2012 debate before our group seemed to go quite well: informing us of their plans, agreements and differences while maintaining a friendly spirit.

Visit our group’s home page (listed below) to get more timely information about when or if either candidate will come.

Transition in transition:
The author of this column moved from Wayland Square to Federal Hill at the end of June. He will not be able from so far away to keep up a useful connection with the neighborhood where he grew up, but no plan has yet emerged for organizing and managing our activities after this summer.

If you or a neighbor you know is willing to participate — even just to the extent of reliably providing at least one face at our monthly meetings — please let us know.

Commercial notes:
West Elm furniture will occupy the space at Wayland and Medway vacated by a sprinkler flood two years ago that displaced four local businesses: the Providence Walking Co. (now in Providence Place Mall), Butterfields (which left town), Reliable Gold, and Wendy Brown Home (both at new locations in the Square).

As with Pasta Beach, facing West Elm across Medway, I cannot at this writing tell when or if they will be open for retail business.

More Information:
Check our Yahoo! Group’s public message board (below) to stay abreast of current local events and issues. Or join the group to receive regular announcements by e-mail, including select notices of neighborhood meetings, civic affairs and cultural events.