[Summit] Finishing a Basement?

Emlyn Addison noisyblocks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:22:57 CDT 2016

We have the same kind of basement, and faced a similar quandary a few years
back. One of the greatest challenges is managing moisture and so we were
wary of putting up walls--moisture barriers that might end up trapping
moisture and causing havoc.

I'm no mason or contractor, but here's what I did (by myself, 1-yard
sections at a time, over 6 months): plastering over the field stone with a
specific Quikrete mortar and an acrylic additive. I got pretty good at
mixing and slapping this into the big cracks and crevices, then smoothing
it over with a trowel and letting it dry. Then I went over the whole
basement with a paint gun. That was about 8 years ago and it's still
looking and working well. It's not a "finished basement" but no more
powdered mortar on the ground, water seepage, or ugly stone.

I figure a contractor would have charged us thousands for this job, but who
knows, maybe you could fine someone to do it affordably? We also put up a
few walls and doors, but you always have to be mindful of ventilation (and
building codes near water heaters, boilers, windows, etc).

Good luck.

Emlyn