[Summit] Finishing a Basement?

Breslers breslerfamily at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:01:24 CDT 2016

Yes, make sure outside water flow is completely controlled first.
When we first moved in, basement had flooding problem.

Digging channels in yard helped, but new gutters and down spouts solved the
problem.
Make sure the downspouts and parts carrying water away from house are
ATTACHED.
One separated once and next down pour, we again flooded.

Maybe your rain gutters do not work as well at the beginning of the season,
till a heavy rain over rides debris built up over the winter.
Of course sometimes they remain clogged...

Mrs B

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Anna Highsmith <anna at occupant.org> wrote:

> We have a similar kind of basement, which we are slowwwwly working on. One
> thing to look out any drainage issues outside-- downspouts that don't
> direct water well away from the foundation (ideally downhill). Or any areas
> where the ground slopes towards the house instead of away.
>
> The advice I've gotten is to address exterior water issues (gutters,
> downspouts and slope) and then seal/finish the inside.
>
> Good luck! Let us know if you find a great solution and/or tradesperson.
>
> Anna
> Colonial Rd
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:24 PM Emlyn Addison <noisyblocks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We have the same kind of basement, and faced a similar quandary a few
>> years back. One of the greatest challenges is managing moisture and so we
>> were wary of putting up walls--moisture barriers that might end up trapping
>> moisture and causing havoc.
>>
>> I'm no mason or contractor, but here's what I did (by myself, 1-yard
>> sections at a time, over 6 months): plastering over the field stone with a
>> specific Quikrete mortar and an acrylic additive. I got pretty good at
>> mixing and slapping this into the big cracks and crevices, then smoothing
>> it over with a trowel and letting it dry. Then I went over the whole
>> basement with a paint gun. That was about 8 years ago and it's still
>> looking and working well. It's not a "finished basement" but no more
>> powdered mortar on the ground, water seepage, or ugly stone.
>>
>> I figure a contractor would have charged us thousands for this job, but
>> who knows, maybe you could fine someone to do it affordably? We also put up
>> a few walls and doors, but you always have to be mindful of ventilation
>> (and building codes near water heaters, boilers, windows, etc).
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Emlyn
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Peter Sandby-Thomas <
>> peter.sandbythomas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We are currently considering finishing part of our basement to serve as
>>> a playroom for our kids (!) but we live in an old house with a foundation
>>> made from fieldstone and mortar. When it rains heavily (particularly the
>>> first rain of the season), we get a little bit of seepage in one of the
>>> corners but my questions is for those with similar types of basements and
>>> whether it is actually possible to effectively finish this type of basement
>>> (e.g. sealant paint, studs, dry wall, insulation, etc. along with
>>> rugs/carpeting)?
>>>
>>> Any insight would be gratefully received.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Langham Road

FISHEL BRESLER'S KLEZMER & HASSIDIC MUSIC -
*funded in part by a Folk Arts Fellowship grant from the RI State Council
on the Arts*.
www.LinkedIn.com/in/FishelBresler