[Summit] Panhandlers

Emlyn Addison noisyblocks at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 19:50:58 CDT 2016

FYI, just posted today on Facebook by a friend of mine:

"I always suspected that the panhandlers in Providence were part of some
organized group (vast conspiracy etc.) Today I saw a woman with the typical
"homeless, anything will help" sign standing at an intersection. A man (her
manager? handler?) sitting on a low wall on the side of the road said to
her "you can come over here and sit for 10 minutes, then you have to get
back out there."

Also today, one intersection away from there, another "homeless" was
holding a similar sign, but as I passed her I noticed she was texting on
one of those giant iPhone 6s that she was hiding behind the sign.

I've also seen a new homeless person "relieve" another, as if they were
punching in and the other person was punching out."

I doubt it's the norm, but these kind of observations are concerning.

Emlyn