[Summit] Park bench at Rochambeau & Camp ?

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 18:02:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wednesday afternoon, I was trudging up Rochambeau from the bus stop on North Main (facing the North Burial Ground), en route to the library and beyond that to the Butler campus.

On the intersection of Rochambeau Ave. and Camp St,, where Dana also shoots off, there's the small triangular park, with some plants, a little grass. and several community garden plots. There's a memorial plaque for two Providence residents who died fighting World War II in 1944-45; I think the intersection is called Sawyer-Cutler Memorial Square.

But there's no bench for sitting and resting. Nor is there one that I could see in another memorial garden on the lawn of Temple Beth Shalom, on the opposite (northern) side of Rochambeau.

Has there been a bench in the past ? Did it get misused in some way or attract unwelcome users ? Or is it just something that's never been considered ?

I live for the moment around Wayland Square, although I will soon move away from the East Side, so while this square is one I have passed before [and it's what I envisioned when the Summit association was discussing community gardens planned for the much-bigger park at 10th & Summit ], it's not one I use or see — or expect to use or see — more than about once every year or two.

But a bench or other seating might be welcome to others who wish or have to climb that hill.

Have a nice weekend.

Dave

David Kolsky, organizer
Neighborhood Discussion Group at Books on the Square
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WaylandSquare
advisory board member,
Summit Neighborhood Association