[Summit] Jackson will continue to serve

Carol Cancro cscancro at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:01:55 CDT 2016

Here's the relevant portion of the Providence Home Rule Charter:

208. Recall.

The mayor and members of the city council may be removed from office by
recall, provided that recall may not be initiated during either the first
six (6) months or the last year of an incumbent's term. The procedure to
accomplish removal by recall shall be as follows:

 (a) A declaration of intent to petition for recall shall be filed with the
city clerk; in seeking recall of the mayor said declaration shall include
the signatures of one thousand (1,000) qualified city electors, or in the
case of members of the city council shall include the signatures of three
hundred (300) qualified electors of the ward from which such member was
elected;

 (b) Within one hundred twenty (120) days of the presentation of said
declaration, a written petition demanding the removal of the mayor or
member of the city council shall be filed with the city clerk. When removal
of the mayor is demanded, said petition shall include the signatures of
fifteen (15) per cent of all qualified city electors, provided that no more
than fifteen (15) per cent of the total signatures thereon may be from any
one ward of the city. When removal of a member of city council is demanded,
said petition shall include the signatures of twenty (20) per cent of the
qualified electors of the ward from which such member of city council was
elected. The signatures on any recall petition provided for in this
subsection may be on separate papers, but to each separate paper there
shall be attached a signed statement of the circulator thereof, who states
therein under oath, that each signature appended to said paper was made in
the presence of the circulator. All such papers comprising a recall
petition may be bound together and filed as one instrument at one time, or
may be filed at different times as separate papers; provided, however, that
all such separate papers must be filed within the time limit set in this
subsection.

(c) The city clerk shall refer said petition forthwith to the board of
canvassers which shall within ten (10) days from the date of the filing of
such petition examine it and shall from the voters registered determine the
sufficiency thereof and certify the results to the city council forthwith;
if the examination shows that the petition contains the requisite number of
signatures, the city council shall order and fix, forthwith, a date for
holding an election, which date shall not be less than thirty (30) nor more
than sixty (60) days from the date that the board of canvassers certified
the petition as sufficient;

(d) Each ballot at such election shall have printed thereon the following
question: "Shall (name of person) be removed from the office of (name of
office)?" Immediately following such question, there shall be printed on
the ballot the following two (2) propositions in this order: "Yes" "No"

 (e) In any such election, if a majority of the votes cast on the question
of removal is affirmative, the person whose removal is sought shall
thereupon be deemed removed from office as of certification of the results
by the board of elections.

(f) The city council may, through ordinance, make other and further
regulations for carrying out the provisions of this section not
inconsistent herewith.

Carol C.