[Summit] Jackson Recall election set for May 2

Michael McGlynn mmcglynn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:39:34 CDT 2017

>>I hope Jackson's alleged crimes and our community's legitimate and
appropriate response to those crimes does not shortchange our friends and
neighbors when they need support from our community most.<<

They don't and it doesn't.

I'm looking forward to having proper representation for our ward to vote on
the CSA and other issues affecting our community.

>>those who have worked so hard to get Jackson's recall scheduled will find
it in themselves to put similar efforts into other issues of immense civic
importance<<

Let's all be agents of change, Singling those folks out, myself included,
seems like you are diminishing the effort. I hope you are not.

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Mikaila Mariel Lemonik Arthur <
mmlarthur at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I agree, and long have, with many of the points made here about
> Jackson's limitations as a councilperson and a citizen, I do want to note
> that he has been one of the more reliable allies of the Community Safety
> Act campaign (https://providencecommunitysafetyact.wordpress.com/), and I
> am really disappointed that the CSA has not come to a vote before Jackson
> does. I sincerely hope that the opponents of the CSA do not use the period
> in which our city council seat is vacant to their advantage, and I further
> hope that whomever wins the seat at the special election will be as much or
> more likely to support initiatives like the CSA. In our current political
> climate, people of color and immigrants are even more vulnerable to abuse
> by law enforcement, and we need a city council who will do what it takes to
> protect them, and all of us, from abuses of power. As important as it is to
> remove those engaged in fraud and embezzlement from office, I hope
> Jackson's alleged crimes and our community's legitimate and appropriate
> response to those crimes does not shortchange our friends and neighbors
> when they need support from our community most.
>
> If you aren't aware, on a related note, the RI House Judiciary committee
> is currently considering a bill, H5093,  which would forbid any state or
> local government or government agency from refusing to cooperate with ICE
> and would require all public employees to report any attempt to prohibit
> such cooperation and to "support the enforcement of federal immigration
> law" (https://legiscan.com/RI/bill/H5093/2017). In a world in which our
> state legislature is considering such legislation, the CSA is even more
> important.
>
> I hope those who have worked so hard to get Jackson's recall scheduled
> will find it in themselves to put similar efforts into other issues of
> immense civic importance, including passing the CSA and rejecting H5093 and
> other similar bills which will be coming down the pike.
>
> --
> Mikaila Mariel Lemonik Arthur
> mmlarthur at gmail.com <mailto:mmlarthur at gmail.com>

Thank You,