[Summit] Fw: State Budget process explained in a free Common Cause workshop, Saturday morning 20 May

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 15:34:09 CDT 2017

Even if state politics normally doesn’t interest you so much as neighborhood, national or world events, this should prove extremely useful.
Many of the issues that often come up quite locally — such as sidewalk hazards, potholes, school repairs, park improvements, levels of police or fire protection, and (yes) car or property taxes — depend heavily on the aid (financial, technical and administrative) that the State of Rhode Island & Providence Plantations can provide to her 8 cities and 31 towns.
The sum of state assistance for such things as education, school buildings, property tax relief (including the auto tax), and open space has been declining over the last decade or so. This inevitably affects both the level of services that cities and towns can provide to their residents, and the taxes that they assess for them.

The level and overall balance between property taxes, the state income tax, lottery revenue, fees, charges and tolls, can therefore hit very closely. Paired with that, of course, is the way that those revenues are allocated and spent. City and school officials often tell our local neighborhood and merchant meetings that their ability to address a need is limited by some shortage of funds or resources.
¶ This is a morning session from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the new Metcalf Auditorium in the Rhode Island School of Design’s Museum of Art (most easily approached from the North Main Street entrance).
So if you had also planned to attend the Hope Street Block Party from noon to 6 p.m. that same day, you could (if eager and energetic enough) attend both. First fret over the numbers and then relax with food, drink and music.

Dave