[Summit] Fw: Arts News from the City -- Summer Concerts, Film, PVD Fest, etc.

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 06:46:14 CDT 2017

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: "Providence Department of Art, Culture and Tourism" <webmaster at providenceri.com>
 Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 9:03 AM
 Subject: Greetings From the City of Providence's Department of Art, Culture + Tourism

 THIS EMAIL MAY NOT DISPLAY PROPERLY:  CLICK HERE TO VIEW IT IN A WEB BROWSER at media screen and (max-width:620px){#yiv4259260959 [id=yiv4259260959topMessageWrapper] img {height:auto !important;max-width:100%;width:auto;}#yiv4259260959 .filtered99999 , #yiv4259260959 [id=yiv4259260959topMessageWrapperMainTable] {width:100% !important;table-layout:fixed;}}@media screen and (max-width:450px){#yiv4259260959 [id=yiv4259260959topMessageWrapper] {padding:0 10px;}#yiv4259260959 td[class=yiv4259260959responsiveColumn] {width:100% !important;height:auto !important;display:block;padding:0;clear:both;height:auto;}}

|    |

|     Last week, AC+T joined Providence Public School District, and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Arts, to announce that DelSesto, Gilbert Stuart, and Roger Williams Middle Schools will join Turnaround Arts at the start of the next school year. Turnaround Arts is a national program, created by the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, proven to close the opportunity gap and provide equitable access to the arts in schools. We are thrilled to be a part of Turnaround Arts: Providence! Read the press release about the program. It’s the final countdown for our summer programming! We kick off with PVDFest from June 1-4. Look for a special enews blast later this month with more information about what you can expect to experience this year. We have also announced our summer concert series, an annual tradition in downtown with our long-standing partners at 95.5 WBRU.  Read all about the exciting lineup here.  Spring is a great time to rediscover Providence. I’m planning to check in at some of my favorite neighborhood spots during events planned by the city’s merchants associations. Follow the Department on Facebook to create your own arts and culture itinerary.   Stephanie Fortunato, Director         |

|   FRIDAY NIGHT CONCERTS  |

    This summer the City has teamed up  with 95.5 WBRU to bring some of the nation’s best rising talent to the Waterplace stage. The series will  feature emerging alternative rock  bands paired with regional rising  stars.
|    |

|   CITY HALL GALLERIES  |

    Providence City Hall features a permanent collection showcasing mayoral portraits. It also houses three galleries on the second floor: the Main Gallery, Mayor Elorza's Community Gallery and a Pocket Gallery curated by the Art League of Rhode Island...
|    |

|   STATE-WIDE EVENTS  |

|  Spring is here! Brighten up your day by discovering everything the Creative Capital and Ocean State have to offer!  Artists, organizations, and venues are encouraged to submit their profiles and events free of charge...   |

|    |

|   PRODUCED IN PVD  |

|  World-renowned creative professionals, artists, arts organizations, and venues call Providence home.  Explore some of their most recent work with this spotlight on stuff you may have seen (and hopefully not missed) around town...  |

|    |

|   AC+T IN THE COMMUNITY  |

|  The Providence Department of Art, Culture + Tourism ensures the continued development of a vibrant and creative city by integrating arts and culture into community life while showcasing Providence as an international cultural destination...  |

|    |

|   INFO SESSION  |

|  May 25, 5:30pm 444 Westminster St. All participants, performers and volunteers are invited to attend an information session to learn more about the festival footprint, schedule, participant roles, and responsibilities.   |

|    |

|  SPECIAL EVENTS CORNER    |
|   PVDFest is less than a month away! Check out all of the great activities that our happening during the four full days of the festival. First and foremost, we would love for all the makers out there to participate in the RI Mini Maker Fair on Saturday June 3rd. If you are interested in having a table to show your work, click here. Tabling is free! We have built out from the Saturday festivities in both directions. Between June 1st and June 4th, there’s something for everyone. I’m including a teaser here, but stay tuned for more information. Thursday June 1st
   - “A Lively Experiment” is the first ever PVDFest ideas conference. It will take place from 8:30AM – 4:30PM downtown at Aurora and tickets will be available the week of May 15th.
   - At 5:00PM break bread with 300 fellow citizens on Washington Street at our first PVDFest Community Table. There will be a limited number of tickets available the week of May 15th.
   - From 8:00PM – 11:00PM the Thursday party continues at The SteelYard with a free post-dinner dance party.
 Friday June 2nd
   -  “Ivy League Rumba,” a film made in Providence, screens for free at Aurora from 5:00PM-7:00PM.
   - At 8:00PM Bandaloop will offer a free preview of their Saturday headline performance at 10 Dorrance Street.
   - From 8:30PM – 10:00PM PALO!, star of “Ivy League Rumba” takes the Alex + Ani Center stage for a free salsa performance.
 Sunday June 4th Following the main events on Saturday, June 3rd, we will be moving to Dexter Park for an awesome finale featuring Community MusicWorks students, faculty, and alumni, and a participatory performance by DBR. Check out all the details on our blog.
 Lizzie Araujo, Deputy Director    |
|  |
|     Filming In Providence?  Hosting A Public Event?     Arts Opportunities  Post An Event To ArtsNowRI Public Art Project?  Reports & Publications     |

  Stephanie Fortunato | Director | EMAIL Lizzie Araujo | Deputy Director | EMAIL Gina Rodriguez | Cultural Affairs | EMAIL Micah Salkind | Special Projects | EMAIL Michael Christofaro | Marketing + Fiscal | EMAIL    |
|    |
|  City of Providence Department of Art, Culture + Tourism 444 Westminster Street, 3rd FL | Providence, RI 02903 | 401.680.5770 www.providenceri.com/artculturetourism  |