[Summit] Please don't get in or on the fountain

Breslers breslerfamily at gmail.com
Thu May 18 09:28:25 CDT 2017

I support the idea of a fountain kids can physically enjoy,
BUT it is NOT simple.
I am also licensed to do pool chemistry safely
so I know something about this-
pools of water CAN be very unhealthy.
Especially out doors, where birds and animals can contribute to the issues
(Salmonella, legionaires, e coli, strep, parasites, etc...)
AND the sun burns off some sterilization chemicals,
and the ones that DON'T burn off really ARE toxic.

Ask anyone who has been a responsible owner of a back yard pool.
Yes- you CAN do it, but it is WORK
and with the city worrying about liability, added into the mix,
you will need a real budget to have someone test and tweek the water
chemistry,
MULTIPLE times daily, lots of chemicals and a high tech filter.

And even then... I remember vomiting, wretched sick w something
the day after swimming in a pond that WAS tested.
But the e coli results, showing a very unsafe level, did not come back till
the next day...
and THEN the beach was closed.

Yup, in the "old days"
kids jumped in fountains, ponds and quarry puddles, just about anything wet.
Regular eating of less protected foods meant they probably had stronger
immune systems
but-
some kids still got bacterial diarrhea, sore throats, parasites, rashes and
other icky problems.
IF the illness got connected to the water-
*Then* Mom would probably say "I told you to stay out of the swimming hole
when the water is warm!"
*Today* someone would get sued.

And we all would really rather NO kids got sick
so this is not so simple.

Mrs B

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM, Ethan Gyles <ethangy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bob raises a good point -- this would be open to all, active member or not
> (which is true of all our functions). We feel facilitating this kind of
> thing for the neighborhood is a big part of why we exist as an organization!
>
> On May 17, 2017, at 10:49 PM, Robert Mathiesen <rmath13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you, Ethan!  I'm not very active in SNA, but I would come to that
> meeting.  --  Bob Mathiesen
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Ethan Gyles <ethangy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If the quantity of e-mails and Facebook comments (I also posted this to
>> SNA's Facebook page and group) are any indication, this is a matter worth
>> some face time with a Parks Department representative to discuss options
>> and solutions. Lippitt is in some ways the heart of the neighborhood, so it
>> matters a great deal. I've suggested to Parks Director Wendy Nilsson via
>> email that SNA would like to facilitate a meeting, and if her team is
>> willing I'll publicize the details so folks can participate.
>>
>> Good evening, all,
>> Ethan
>>

>> On May 17, 2017, at 8:54 PM, Martha Fraenkel <mfraenkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In Charleston, SC, every city fountain I saw was posted " please do not
>> use soap in the fountain".  That is, they literally invite and expect you
>> to enjoy the water.
>>
>> Can we not do better than the endless needless controversy over this
>> fountain, which is nice but not THAT nice?   I  support replacing it with
>> one we can reliably and safely play in, which would have far more amenity
>> than what we have now: a vaguely handsome relic that is reliably broken.
>>
>> And now the kids are going to be threatened with arrest for doing what
>> kids do?
>>
>> I agree with Aaron.    Something is wrong here, and not just with the
>> fountain.
>>
>> And,  when we can't afford to fix or replace this fountain, how about a
>> pulldown shower or two, like you have at the beach?  Can we think  fun
>> instead of NO fun?
>>

>> On 5/17/2017 8:32 PM, Aaron Smuts wrote:
>>
>> If it is so dangerous and poses a nearly irresistible lure to children,
>> just get rid of it.  And if it's so fragile that it needs to be protected
>> by an array of ugly signs and an ugly fence like the one around the bird
>> feeder obstruction, then it should go.  Get the dangerous eyesore out of
>> the park. . . . Then again, perhaps we could just use some milder
>> chemicals, let children play, and see what happens. If it can't stand up to
>> the weight of a few kids, it's garbage. Old, but still garbage with some
>> sort of maintenance plan that wreaks of corruption. How much was that
>> caulking again?
>>
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Ethan Gyles <ethangy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As we get a taste of summer, the Parks Department has asked SNA to relay
>>> their plea that folks *do not stand on or get in the water at the
> [...]

FISHEL BRESLER'S KLEZMER & HASSIDIC MUSIC -
*funded in part by a Folk Arts Fellowship grant from the RI State Council
on the Arts*.
www.LinkedIn.com/in/FishelBresler