[Summit] Fountain

Andrew Nosal andy at mapcenter.com
Fri May 19 13:17:57 CDT 2017

It is a delightful fountain.  Did whoever designed it think about how inviting it looks to climb into on a hot day?  Any modern, super safe for the delicate kiddies water feature being contemplated will be less fun and less inviting than the fountain.

Police state ambience in the park with signs and fences and stern warnings is a hideous turn-off no matter how pretty the fountain is.  Signs like that stimulate vandalism.

I say let the kids play in it and hope it does not break down for a while. When it does, fix it unless repairs will cost more than a new water feature.

It would seem unobjectionable for a neighborhood group to raise funds to improve a park.  But what we see in many cities are neatly maintained parks in wealthy neighborhoods and neglected parks elsewhere.  When the most politically influential citizens are satisfied with “their" parks, it becomes too easy for the city to cut the parks budget and the rest of the city suffers.