[Summit] Fountain

Robert Mathiesen rmath13 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:04:09 CDT 2017

I expect the city's risk-management has been at work here, too.  On Benefit
Street, at the Atheneum, there is a grantie fountain with a basin for
people to drink from and a trough below that for animals to drink from.
Above it is carved "Come hither everyone that thirsteth."  An old legend
said that anyone who drank from it would never be able to move away from
Providence.  It certainly proved true for us.

It was still being turned on every summer when we moved to Providence in
1967, and we drank from it often.  IIRC, it was sometime in the early 1990s
that it stopped being turned on.  Word on the street back then was that
legal concerns forced the Atheneum directors to shut it down, very much
against their own traditions and wishes.

Does anyone know the specifics of when and why that other fountain was
permanently turned off?