[Summit] Fw: Council candidates’ forums (tonight & June 12th); Student housing rules; Suboxone clinic

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 20:27:03 CDT 2018

¶ The Second Ward City Council candidates’ forum (7 p.m. tonight, Monday 4 June) will be at the Governor Lippitt House (space limited) at the corner of Hope & Angell Streets, opposite the Mary C. Wheeler School.

¶ The forum for City Council members and candidates in all fifteen Wards of Providcnce (5 p.m. Tuesday 12 June) is in the former power plant (South Street Landing) that is now home to the URI/RIC Nursing School near the corner of Eddy and Point Streets. (Served by the No. 92 bus.)

|  |

| You’re invited to the
JDA City Council Candidates’ Night

Get informed to vote in this important election:
IT’S ABOUT THE FUTURE OF OUR CITY!

Tuesday 6/12 at 5:00 PM |

|  |

|  |

| City Council Members are facing a November election.

As voters, we need to understand more about both the city council members and the opponent.

Therefore, we have invited both sitting members and their opponents to attend our Candidates' Night. |

| Who's invited?

|   Ward | Existing Council Members
and Opponent |
|      1 | Councilman - Seth Yurdin |
|      2 | Councilman - Samuel Zurier*
Opponent - Helen Anthony  |
|      3 | Councilwoman - Nirva LaFortune |
|      4 | Councilman - Nicholas Narducci
Opponent - Jason Rojas |
|      5 | Councilwoman - Jo-Ann Ryan
Opponent - Steven Cianci |
|      6 | Councilman -Michael Correia |
|      7 | Councilman - John Igliozzi
Opponent - Dave Marshall |
|      8 | Councilman - Wilbur Jennings
Opponent - Jim Taylor |
|      9 | Councilwoman- Carmen Castillo |
|     10 | Councilman - Luis A. Aponte
Opponent - Pedro Espinal |
|     11 | Councilwoman - Mary Kay Harris |
|     12 | Councilman - Terrence Hassett
Opponent - Kat Kerwin |
|     13 | Councilman - Bryan Principe*
Opponent - Cyd McKenna |
|     14 | Council President -David Salvatore |
|     15 | Councilwoman - Sabina Matos |

* Not running for re-election |

Hear what they have to say.

Ask your questions.

Get what you need to know to be an informed voter.

This is about the future of our city. |

|  |

Join us at South Street Landing in Room 498 at 5:00 PM on Tuesday June 12. |

|  |
| 360 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903
Directions

|  |

|  |

|  |

| For More Information, go to the JDA Web Site |

|  |

| Copyright © 2018 Jewelry District Association, All rights reserved.
You have expressed an interest in both the Jewelry District and the Jewelry District Association

Our mailing address is:
Jewelry District Association150 Chestnut St.Unit 8PProvidence, RI 02903
Add us to your address book

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Samuel D. Zurier <sam at samzurier.com>To: Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2018, 6:01:32 AM EDTSubject: June 3, 2018 Ward Letter

|   |

|  |
| Painting by Jim Bush, www.jimbushart.com  |

 Ward 2 and City News for June 3, 2018 |

|  |

|  |

Dear David,

We are now in the season that many Rhode Islanders wait for, and I hope you are getting outdoors, perhaps to the Hope Street Block Party yesterday or the PVD Fest downtown next weekend. This week's letter discusses a candidate forum for the City Council, a proposed alternative to the suboxone office at 150 Lloyd Avenue and an effort to extend the City's student housing ordinance.
Download a pdf copy.

A Forum For Ward 2 City Council Candidates In recent weeks, three East Siders have expressed interest in running for the Ward 2 City Council seat I will be vacating at the end of this year. They are (in alphabetical order):
   - Helen Anthony, a land use attorney at the Handy Law Firm who previously served on the City Council in Columbia, Missouri;
   - Mark Feinstein, a local businessman who has served on the Providence Economic Development Partnership, which provides capital to Providence businesses unable to obtain conventional financing;
   - Ryan Holt, a governmental affairs and land use attorney at the Darrow Everett law firm, who had prior experience as corporate counsel in the financial services industry.
All three expected candidates (whose qualifications go beyond the brief summaries just provided) have accepted an invitation from the College Hill Neighborhood Association to discuss City issues at the Association's next meeting on Monday, June 4 at 7:00 p.m. at 199 Hope Street. The public is invited.
A Proposed Alternative For 150 Lloyd Avenue
            At the same CHNA meeting, a developer's representative will present a proposal for the 150 Lloyd Avenue residence that currently displays a sign announcing the arrival of a suboxone office. The proposal calls for the construction of 9 residential units on the property, which cannot happen unless and until the City Council approves a change in the zoning ordinance in that area from R-1 to R-4. I will be attending the meeting and listening with interest both to the proposal and the questions and concerns raised by our neighbors.
Regulating Student Housing
Recently, a property owner rented a two-family home on College Hill to 13 students, well beyond the past use and/or designed capacity of the house. When neighbors asked the Division of Inspection and Standards whether the City regulated this practice, they learned that existing laws did not apply. (The City Council enacted a 3-student limit for single family homes only.) In response, I introduced an ordinance to extend the 3 student per unit limit to all multifamily homes in all zones. After corresponding with some property owners (who were concerned that the original version was overbroad) and working with the Law Department, I will be submitting an amended version to the Ordinance Committee on Tuesday night, June 5. The new version will apply only to 2-family houses located in R-1 or R-1A zones. The Ordinance Committee will set a date for a public hearing, and the City Plan Commission will review the proposal before the Ordinance Committee or the City Council takes any action on it.

|   |

| Sincerely,

Visit My Website

|   |

|  |

| Friends of Sam Zurier, P.O. Box 603032, Providence, RI 02906 |

 |  |