[Summit] Calendar of community meetings for late March

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 14:03:36 CDT 2018

Sorry this is adding to the blizzard of weather warnings I’ve been sending out this afternoon, and I am trying to consolidate everything into a single mailing. Apologies also for the disorganized style, but there’s no time to improve the formatting and still send it out while still useful (it looks better in the attached Microsoft Word document than printed out onto Yahoo! Mail).
I expect that almost all of the meetings originally scheduled for today and tomorrow may be subject to change, cancellation or postponement (as already happened to the Wayland Square meeting tomorrow night). This includes Fox Point’s board meeting underneath the Gregorian School library tonight, the League of Women Voters’ first discussion of public corruption at the Gov. Lippitt House tonight. and the Downtown Neighborhood Association’s monthly meeting at Grace Church Pavilion tomorrow night.
Best wishes and good luck to all,
Dave

League of Women Voters of Rhode Island

Rhode Island Corruption: Perception vs. Reality

Monday,March 12

Corruption in Rhode Island: The Reality and thePerception
How corrupt are we? What role does media havein exposing it? What impact on our economy?
Speakers:
Margaret Curran - Former US Attorney for RI
Tracy Breton – Former investigative reporter,Providence Journal
Richard Ratcliffe – Former RI Assistant AttorneyGeneral
Grafton (Cap) Willey IV – Tax and Budget Chair,SBA Small Business Summit

Place: Lippitt HouseMuseum, 199 Hope St, Providence
Time: 6:30 – 7: 00 pm, reception, 7:00 – 8:00speakers
Parking is available in the Wheeler School lotacross the street.
For wheelchair-access, call Carrie Taylor, 401-453-0688 , ctaylor at preserveri.org

Monday, March 19

 I know aGuy: Ethics in RI
Do we have a permissive attitude towardscorruption in RI? Is it accepted as normal? Can
politicians self-regulate? or do we need moreexternal oversight?
Speakers:
Jason Gramitt – Education Coordinator, RI EthicsCommission
Jim Hummel – Executive Director & SeniorInvestigator, The Hummel Report
John Dietrich - Professor of Political Science,Bryant University

Place: Lippitt HouseMuseum, 199 Hope St, Providence
Time: 6:30 – 7: 00 pm, reception, 7:00 – 8:00speakers
Parking is available in the Wheeler School lotacross the street.
For wheelchair-access, call Carrie Taylor, 401-453-0688 , ctaylor at preserveri.org

Monday, March 26

Threats to Elections: Should We Worry?
What are the threats to the security of ourvoting process? Both by external hacking as well as
local procedures and protocols. How cantechnology make our elections secure?
Speakers:
Robert Rapoza - Executive Director, RI StateBoard of Elections
Joseph Cammarano - Associate Professor ofPolitical Science, Providence College
John Savage – An Wang Professor of ComputerScience, Brown University

Place: Lippitt HouseMuseum, 199 Hope St, Providence
Time: 6:30 – 7: 00 pm, reception, 7:00 – 8:00speakers
Parking is available in the Wheeler School lotacross the street.
For wheelchair-access, call Carrie Taylor, 401-453-0688 , ctaylor at preserveri.org

The Fox Point Neighborhood Association
Monthly BoardMeeting
Monday, March12
7:00pm
Art Room/Community Room
VartanGregorian Elementary School

The CarpionatoGroup recently proposed development ideas for I-195 parcels
located between South Main and South Water streets.

The Public is Welcome.
 Please Join Us!

Directions: Our monthly board meetings take place in the Art Room/Community Room of the Vartan Gregorian School. Look for a short driveway at the eastern-most side of the building, near the intersection of Governor and Wickenden Streets. The entrance to the Art Room is located about 50 feet down that driveway, on the right-hand side.

For more information on
 the Fox Point Neighborhood Association,
 visit
 www.fpna.net

 email us at
 foxpointneighborhood at gmail.com

or follow us on
 Facebook

Downtown Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting
·        Tuesday,March 13, 2018

·        6:30PM  7:30 PM

·        ThePavilion at Grace Church300 Westminster StreetProvidence, RI, 02903UnitedStates (map)

All are welcome toattend our next meeting on Tuesday, March 13, 6:30 PM at The Pavilion at Grace.Speakers will give an update about new projects happening throughout downtown,the Providence Police will speak about any new crime trends happeningthroughout the City, and information will be shared about other developmentsand events. A formal agenda will be posted in early March.

Source:: https://www.facebook.com/events/328302097674091/

ReservoirTriangle Neighborhood Association

AnnualMeeting

Wednesday,March 14 at 6:30 p.m.

Alvarez High School,

375 Adelaide Avenue

Mashapaug Commons

Special Guest: MayorJorge Elorza

Gallery NightProvidence

Thursday, March 15, 5 to 9 p.m.

Free admission to many galleries around the City, including alarge Faculty Biennial exhibition at the Museum of the Rhode Island School ofDesign (RISD).

BikeShare is coming to Providence! We’ll soon be rollingout 400 JUMP bikes for anyone to use, and we want to hear from you!

Attend an upcoming Open House event to learnmore, see an e-bike, and share your ideas about where you would like to seebike share hubs in our community.

Four bike share outreach events are planned asfollows in Providence:

Monday, March 19, 12:00-2:00pm
Doorley Municipal Building
444 Westminster Street, First Floor

Facebook event link

Monday, March 19, 6:30-8:00pm
West Broadway Neighborhood Association(WBNA) Office
1560 Westminster Street

Facebook event link

Tuesday March 20, 6:30-8:00pm
Brown RISD Hillel

80 Brown Street

Facebook event link

Wednesday, March 21, 6:30-8:00pm
SWAP Community Room
500 Broad Street

Facebook event link

Residents will also have theopportunity to voice support for bike share hub locations during an onlinecampaign in late March. The final station map will be announced in summer 2018.

For more information follow JUMP Bikes on Facebook and check out theirwebsite at jumpbikes.com/about.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Elmwood Ave Business & CommunityAssociation (EBCA) meeting

Wednesday,March 14, 9:00 – 10:30 am

Location: Elmwood Nursing and RehabilitationCenter, 225 Elmwood Ave
      Agenda includes planning for the revitalizationof Elmwood Ave planters, scheduled for May; and developing activities forsummer activities in Columbus Square. Adela Goldbard, Assistant Professor atRISD, whose class is working on socially engaged public art will also attend.(She could not make our February meeting.)
RSVP to Karen, Karen_ena at earthlink.net, (401) 941-8249
Note: EBCA meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.

South Providence Neighborhood Association meeting

Thursday,March 22, 6:00 to 8:00
Location: Community Prep School, Somerset St. inUpper South Providence
     Learn about the current activities and futureendeavors of the Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT).

Note: SPNA meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of each month.

Wayland Square Neighborhood Association

·                  Neighbors, our next meeting is Tuesday, March 27th at 6:00 (rescheduled from Tuesday the 13th).

New members, please join us - wewant your input and ideas!

This month's meeting with be inthe community room at the Bethany Home,which is at the end of Medway (on the Butler side). Please note that theaddress is on Angell street, but it's easiest to access via Medway.

Agenda items so far:

Spring Clean up;

resident/merchant collaboration;

mission statement;

Fane proposal;

bike share and open discussion.

Last month we had many newmembers who immediately brought energy and engagement. We welcome many more!

AnnualMeeting

March 28, 2018

Blackstone Parks Conservancy Annual Meeting at Governor Henry Lippitt House Museum, at the corner of Hope andAngell streets. Parking at Wheeler School. Refreshments 6:00, meeting 6:30-6:45.Wendy Nilsson, Providence Department of Parks and Recreation will be giving atalk on her department and how they work closely with organizations such at theBPC, 6:45pm – 7:30pm.

Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau

Quarterly Meeting with Neighborhood & Merchant Groups

Due to winter weatherpredictions, the neighborhood and merchant association meeting scheduled forThursday, March 8 at 9 a.m. has been rescheduled to Thursday, March 29at 9 a.m.    It will still be at the Providence WarwickCVB on the ground floor of the IGT (formerly GTech) building at 10 MemorialBoulevard, across Francis Street from Providence Place Mall.  Low costparking is available across the street at Providence Place.