[Summit] Plastic Bags

Aaron Smuts asmuts at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:55:36 CDT 2018

You do realize that no one has address the substantive points I raised.
Cheering on your side is not helpful. In fact, I haven't even picked a
side. I'm on the let's hold off on creating laws that might not do any
good, laws that might actually cause harm.

[And I haven't presented any argument against the crude utilitarian
justification offered above for reducing freedoms.  ex.  Sure a large soda
ban might have a positive health impact. But so what? What right do you
have to tell me that I can't have a Big Gulp.  Go to hell mommy. . . . <--
I didn't run that argument.  I'll be happy to if needed. . . ]

I merely noted that there is controversy about the fundamental issue: Would
banning plastic bags have a positive impact on the environment and on human
welfare?

[The poor-people-can't afford a $.10 bag is ridiculous. But let's put that
aside.  I'll let the progressives kill their own on that hill.]

If you are concerned about re-use, notice that people do indeed re-use the
plastic bags, very frequently.  Something will have to take the place of
the bags used for cat little, dog poo, small trash cans, and homeless
excrement. . . .

Other kinds of bags have a larger environmental impact to produce, or so
some say. And the re-usable bags present potential health issues. . . .

I don't know enough about the issue to answer the fundamental question
definitively. The bigger problems is that many of the people here who are
so ready to pass a law don't know either.  That scares me.

It might feel good to rally behind some cause like this. But you might not
be doing any good. You might be causing harm.

Aaron