[Summit] Fw from Elmwood: Preserving Providence's History and Environment

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 13:38:40 CDT 2018

 A sustainability fair, a workshop on preserving the former Bomes Theatre, and RISD’s history project on the Gorham Manufacturing plant.
The Southside Cultural Center is in the old Trinity Church building at the point where Elmwood Avenue first branches off Broad Street (across the street from Grace Cemetery and the Salvation Army mission).
   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Karen Hlynsky <karen_ena at earthlink.net>Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 1:14:18 PM EDTSubject: ENA Newsletter - May 2018 updates and additions

The neighborhood meeting about Bomes Theater Restoration, originally scheduled for May 14,
is rescheduled for May 21. See details below

SustainPVD Fair is Saturday, May 19th
an all day event at the Southside Cultural Center

      Building off the success of last year's Community Energy  Fair, the Office of Sustainability is once again partnering with the Sierra Club and others to host this year's SustainPVD Fair.
       Events will include a rain barrel workshop, a compost workshop,  information on how to make your home more energy  efficient, and how to go solar. There will also be a special interactive workshop hosted by the Racial and Environmental  Justice Committee to learn about Energy Democracy and the  City's goal to become carbon neutral by 2050.       This community event is family friendly and will include food  and music. Thank you to our past and present partners  including Sierra Club, People's Power & Light, Acadia Center, Groundwork RI, and the Woonasquatucket  River Watershed Council. If you are interested in getting involved with the  event, sponsoring, or hosting a table, please email SustainPVD at providenceRI.gov.

Monday, May 21, 2018, 6:00 pm
Bomes theater restoration & Restaurante Ramaraya
Neighborhood Information Meeting

iglesia pentecostal vision evangelica, 1014 broad street

      As announced by theDepartment of Planning and Development, two community members will renovate twokey properties on Broad Street: the Bomes Theater at 1017 Broad Street and theformer Atlantic Auto & Truck Supply Company building at 1007 Broad Street.

     Please join residents for acommunity meeting to learn more and ask questions about these projects for theeconomic development on Broad Street. We look forward to your participation.
     This meeting is organizedby the Elmwood Neighborhood Association and by District 11 State RepresentativeGrace Diaz. Other elected officials, Senator Ana Quezada, City CouncilwomanCarmen Castillo and City Councilman Luis Aponte also will attend.

Introduction to RISD's exhibit about Gorham
Tuesday, May 22, 5-8
RISD Museum's Metcalf Auditorium
     The RISD Museum is preparing  for the Spring 2019  exhibition  Designing Innovation: The Gorham Manufacturing Company, American Silver 1850-1970. It will explore the company's history, design and production processes, and marketing initiatives, as well as the objects'  cultural contexts.        As part of the exhibition and programming development, the Museum is hosting a gathering of community members to celebrate  the wealth of stories, projects, research, and experiences related to the Gorham Manufacturing Company and its place in  Rhode Island's communities. We invite you to share your specific experience and perspectives with us and other community members including former Gorham  employees, neighbors, artists, and historians.
     Together we will explore Gorham's place in terms of manufacturing and design, artistic influences, labor and environment, and the company's impact on our communities, city, and state.  We also welcome interested individuals who might not have specific experiences to share but have an interest in this topic.