[Summit] Fw: Omnibus mailing from Libraries, Jewelry Dist., Blackstone Pks, S. Prov., PVD Fest and Fox Pt

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 01:13:42 CDT 2018

 My apologies to those for whom this combination of local announcements might prove too big and unwieldy (if so,please let me know), but I thought it would be better to send out one big mailing rather than fill up your in-boxes with many smaller items that — taken individually — might interest only a few.
As someone who hates clicking links in the middle of e-mail, I preferred to send whole texts rather than the more compact method of some neighbouring groups which compress everything more elegantly through the use of links.
In addition to what’s below, keep in mind that next weekend is Memorial Day weekend, which brings Brown’s Commencement Weekend. The Commencement itself, as always, is on the Sunday before Memorial Day, i.e. May 27th. Commencement Weekend also includes free public lectures for alumni and families on popular topics, and the final performances, most of them also free, of various student groups. I will pass on information about street closures and parking restrictions when I get them.
In addition to PVD Fest two weekends from now, there will be a smaller Taste of Federal Hill on Tuesday, June 5th, requiring the purchase of advance tickets at about $30 each. And two weekends after PVD Fest, Federal Hill will hold its second free Summer Festival on Atwells Avenue from Friday, June 22nd to Sunday, June 24th. Again I will pass on details after I receive them.
Have a good week,
Dave

East Side Cinema Night

Monday, May 21, 2018 - 6:30pm to 8:45pm

RochambeauLibrary - Community Room

The Mill on the Floss (UK 1997)

GrahamTheakston directed this Hugh Stoddart adaptation of the 1860 George Eliot novelabout the strong bond between Maggie Tulliver (Emily Watson) and her brotherTom (Ifan Meredith) of Dorlcote Mill on the river Floss. The mill has been intheir family for 300 years, but their father, Edward Tulliver (Bernard Hill),loses it to shrewd businessman Lawyer Wakem (Nicholas Gecks). His son,sensitive, deformed Philip Wakem (James Frain), loves Maggie. Tom opposes therelationship, and the emotional Maggie, who adores her brother, yields to hisauthority. Her cousin Lucy Deane (Lucy Whybrow) is engaged to the charmingStephen Guest (James Weber-Brown). On a visit, Stephen and Maggie areimmediately attracted to each other, creating a scandal during a boating expeditionand prompting Tom to throw her out of the house. Events then lead toward atragic conclusion.

FRIENDS of ROCHAMBEAU LIBRARY

 Annual Meeting

Monday June 4

7 PM
 Community Room Rochambeau Library.

Agenda:
7PM:  Business meeting:
1) Election of Nominees and approval of slate of Officers and Nominees to Board of Friendsof Rochambeau. Vote
2)  Presentation Budget FY 2018-19
715  3) Guest speakers:  Janet Hasson and Alan Rosenberg
                         Q&A

Featured Speakers Annual Meeting

Janet Hasson, President and Publisher, and Alan Rosenberg, Executive Editor, two of the top people at theProvidence Journal will be the featured speakers at the Annual Meeting ofthe Friends on June 4. They will share their experience and insightsand answer questions about topics such the viability of the ProvidenceJournal and other print media, the influence of Facebook and social media newssources, fake news, the challenge of fair and balanced coverage, the fateof investigative journalism, and more! Starting at 7 pm, we will have abrief annual business meeting to introduce and vote on the slate ofofficers and Board members, introduce nominees and review the budget forFY18-19. Ms. Hasson and Mr. Rosenberg will speak after the businessmeeting. Please come and join us for an informative and lively discussion.

Janet Hasson President & Publisher - The Providence Journal
Janet Hasson is Regional VP for Gatehouse Media and in 2015was appointed President and Publisher of The Providence Journal (theoldest continuously-published daily newspaper in the US.) She oversees aportfolio of media products and services that serve the Rhode Islandmarket.
Before joining the Providence Journal she was Publisher and President forJournal News Media in White Plains, NY, and has over 30 years of publishingexperience. She has worked in various roles driving growth and digitaltransformation on brands that include The Spokesman-Review, the CincinnatiEnquirer, The Idaho Statesman, the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, and theDetroit Free Press.
A graduate of Eastern Washington University and the American PressInstitute’s Executive Development Program, Janet is a four-time winner ofthe Gannett President’s Ring award. She is a current board member of theGreater Providence Chamber of Commerce, the Providence Foundation, Go Red forWomen Executive Leadership Team, the Providence Performance Arts Center, theGreater Providence YMCA, the Providence Public Library, Sophia Academy andmember of the Rhode Island Commodores.
Alan Rosenberg  Executive Editor  has  been a reporter and editor at TheProvidence Journal for 40 years, and since May of 2017 has beenthe Executive Editor of the Journal and providencejournal.com. Agraduate of Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism, hehas served as Providence police reporter and CityHall reporter, and as part of teams that covered both attempted-murdertrials of Claus von Bulow. For several years, he and his wife, AvisGunther-Rosenberg, reviewed restaurants for the Journal, and he still writes amonthly audiobooks column. He has run suburban officesin West Bay and South County, and a team that coveredbreaking police, fire and disaster news. On the lighter side, he was editor ofthe Journal’s former Sunday magazine, and its former LifeBeat, Arts, Live thisWeekend and Sunday Brunch sections- though not all at the same time.

| Fane loses at CPC,
but we need to keep fighting

You are invited to River House Topping Off

Pedestrian Bridge Delay

But ... building, building, building
in the Jewelry District.   |

|  |

|  |

| Fane loses at CPC

Wednesday night, 5/15, the City Plan Commission voted 5 to 2 NOT to recommend the Fane rezoning request to the City Council.  This is a major win for us.  For a summary of the meeting, see the ProJo article.  The JDA was well represented at the meeting, speaking up in opposition to the proposal.

But the battle is not over.  The next step is for the Fane proposal to appear before the Ordinance Committee of the City Council.  Like the CPC, the Ordinance Committee will hold public hearings and then vote on recommending passage or not to the full City Council.  We will keep you informed on the where, when and your role will be for this meeting. |

|  |

|  |

| You are invited to the River House Topping Off Ceremony

Stefan Pryor, RI's Secretary of Commerce has invited the Jewelry District Association to attend the ceremonial steel raising for River House. |

| River House consists of approximately 174 units of graduate, medical and undergraduate student focused housing with almost 5,500 square feet of ground-floor retail space. The project is located on the Providence River just north of the Point Street Bridge in the Innovation and Design District.

We hope you can join the celebration at 11:30 AM on Tuesday, May 22 at 1 Davol Square in Providence. |

|  |

|  |

Pedestrian Bridge Delay

RIDOT has announced a delay in the completion of the Pedestrian Bridge to the summer of 2019.   The JDA has made a formal inquiry of RIDOT and are awaiting a response.  |

|  |

| Building is HOT
Since the creation of the I-195 District, we have had a lot of building activity in the District and on both sides of the river … 11 projects completed or in the pipeline plus 6 proposed.  All but one (Fane) have respected our zoning ordinance. |
|  |

|  Completed - 3
   J&W Science Building
   Parking Garage on Eddy
   South Street Landing

 Under Construction - 5
   44 Hospital Street
   River front Park (Peck & Dyer)
   Pedestrian Bridge
   River House
   Wexford

|  |
South St. Landing

 Approved - 3
   Aloft Hotel
   Chestnut Commons
   Garrahy Garage

 Proposed - 6
   Churchill and Banks
   Carpionato*
   Fandetti Hotel
   Fane Tower
   Post Road*
   Spencer*

|  |  |

|  |
Developer proposes Providence riverfront hotel on former 195 land

Christine Dunn

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A proposal to build a five-story, 52-room boutique hotel with a restaurant, cafe and art gall...

|  |  |

|  |
‘The Row at College Hill’ proposed for 195 District Parcels 2, 5, and 6 ...

The Carpionato Group proposes 4 mixed-use buildings across parcels 2, 5, and 6 on the east side of the Providenc...

|  |  |

|  |
Proposal for 195 District Parcel 5 by Post Road Residential

Post Road Residential proposes a 160-unit mixed-use residential building for Parcel 5 of the 195 District.

|  |
Home Page - Churchill & Banks

Churchill & Banks is a privately-held corporation engaged in the acquisition, development, construction, and man...

|  |  |

|  |
Rendering of the Proposed Garrahy Courthouse Parking Garage

Rendering of the The seven-story 1,250-space parking garage proposed for the parking lot behind the Garrahy Cour...

|  |
38 Tower

​We are a group of concerned and involved citizens of Providence and Rhode Island. Our mission is to enhance P...

   - Competing proposals

|  |

|  |

Next JDA Meeting

Join us at South Street Landing in Room 498 at 5:00 PM on Tuesday June 12th. |

|  |
| 360 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903
Directions

|  |

Blackstone Parks Conservancy

|  |

|  |

We have many events coming up in the park over the next few weeks. There is an event for everyone!

Nature Program in RiverWood for Children

Join us for the last in this series of events in RiverWood, our magical children's circle in the woods.

Sunday, May 20th, 1:30-3pm.
We need bees!  Find out why bees are our friends. We’re going to build a nest box for bees and other pollinators. Meet at RiverWood in the back of Blackstone field. Register here.

Bird Walk With Dan Berard

Saturday, June 2nd, 8-10am. Our resident bird expert is back!
During this walk, we will explore Blackstone Park in search of migrant songbirds and local breeders including warblers, vireos, tanagers, grosbeaks and flycatchers. Warblers we may see include Yellow, Black-and-white, Yellow-rumped and Northern Parula and we may even be lucky enough to come across a rare migrant such as a Cape May Warbler. While warblers are often the highlight of spring migration, species such as Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Great Crested Flycatcher and Eastern Wood-Pewee utilize these important green spaces as well.

Bring your binoculars, comfortable shoes and questions as we take a leisurely stroll and learn about the importance of Blackstone Park and the many species that pass through. We will meet at Blackstone Field in front of the Narragansett Boat Club.

Park-Keeping Evening
Wednesday, June 6th, 5:30-7pm. Bring your work gloves and enjoy a light workout as we host our first park-keeping event of the season. Your help is welcome for a few minutes or the whole time. Meet at the kiosk in the Park alongsideParkside Road.

Please note: as these are weather-dependent outdoor events, please check our website or Facebook page for any last-minute changes.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Listedbelow is the activity of the South ProvidenceNeighborhood Association (SPNA) for the month of May.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ -----

REGULAR MEETING - PORT OFPROVIDENCE - 5/23
For the month of May SPNA will hold its nextregular meeting next Wednesday, May 23rd, from 6pmuntil 8pm, in the Community Room at the Community Preparatory School,located near the intersection of Somerset Street & Prairie Avenue inProvidence. At this meetingSPNA will host a discussion with Cristina Cabrera from the EnvironmentalJustice League of Rhode Island in collecting neighborhood feedback onenvironmental issues with the Port of Providence and its environmental impactson our neighborhood. In addition, feedback & other relevant informationwill be provided regarding a Stakeholder's meeting with the EnvironmentalProtection Agency (EPA) about the Port of Providence. This is an excellentopportunity for neighbors to partake in an open, inclusive dialogue on such avery important topic. SPNA will not have a meeting on Thursday, May24th.

We are less than a month away from PVDFest, Providence’s signature art festival happening June 7-10, 2018!  Join thousands of residents and visitors as we transform Downtown Providence into a four day, multi-arts takeover that changes the ordinary into extraordinary, city streets into stages and public spaces into public art!

PVDFest kicks off with a daylong ideas conference at Providence Public Library (150 Empire Street). PVDFest Ideas | Cyborg Cities: Humans, Technology, and Urban Spaces will work to bring together artists, scholars, designers and practitioners to consider what might be gained, and lost, as cities integrate new technologies to become smarter. Information on individual panelists can be found here. Tickets are now available online.

Also on Thursday night is our PVDFest Bike the Night, starting at 8PM at Burnside Park. Join Mayor Jorge Elorza and dozens of local bikers as they embark on an 8 to 10 mile ride through Providence and ending for a party at the Black Sheep. For more information, check out the Bike the Night Facebook event and be sure to share it with your friends!

Friday programming includes a community Bachata Dance with Carlos Gonzales and Martin Rivera-Baldera, two of the most renowned dance instructors in Rhode Island. They will be attempting to break the Guinness World Record for most people dancing a choreographed Bachata dance, so grab a partner and help us break the record! To reserve your spot on the dance floor, sign up at PVDFest.com/bachata-dance and help us spread the word by sharing the Facebook event with friends and family.

Saturday, the showcase day,  includes a Food Village in Kennedy Plaza featuring over 60 local establishments that will gather to serve festival attendees at ample seating throughout the Plaza; the first ever Bump n’ Bass Raceway, featuring our very own Bumper Cars; Public Art Installations, showcasing the incredible talent of four local artists, May Babcock, Nick Carter and KYLE, Sam White and Kristina Brown; performances by some of the best local, national and international acts like Chachi, Sidy Maiga, Big Nazo, Christopher Johnson, Squonk Opera, Austraila’s Sway Poles, Pilobolus UP!, and Buika curated by FirstWorks, PVDFest’s founding partner, AS220, Downtown Parks Conservancy, the Dean Hotel and so much more!

Don’t miss out on your chance to take part in this year’s parade down Washington Street, a memorable celebration of Providence’s creative culture. Register here to participate in this year’s parade.

A festival this big takes many helping hands-- we are searching for volunteers who want to be part of the fun and get a true behind the scenes experience. I encourage anyone who is interested in volunteering to register today by visiting PVDFest.com/Volunteer

For the latest artist line up, list of vendors and special events please visit PVDFest.com

|   |

|    |

|  View this email
in your browser  |

|    |

|  FPNA NEWS
The Fox Point Neighborhood AssociationMay 17, 2018  |

|  NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS
Issue Updates
News Around Town
  Issue UpdatesEarly Victory for the Neighborhood as Commission Rejects Tower. The City Plan Commission voted 5-2 on Tuesday against a zoning change for the 600-foot luxury residential high-rise proposed by architect Jason Fane for the western edge of the new pedestrian bridge. The City Council will now consider this recommendation in a critical upcoming vote. FPNA joined other groups and a majority of neighbors to oppose the tower and will continue to advocate for neighborhood opinion as the process continues. See coverage in the ProJo here, PBN here, and GoLocalProv here. Find two supportive opinions here and here, a denouncement by Gary Sasse here, a "giant, tacky" criticism here, the stance of 38 Tower here, arguments here by the Providence Preservation Society, and finally, a warning, here, that "Critics of the tower should not relax."  Image, LoGocalProv.

Three Proposals Evaluated for Fox Point Parcels. As many neighbors know, the I-195 Commission is currently considering three building proposals for Parcels 2, 5, and 6 located on the east side of the Providence River in Fox Point (on or near the sites of the Sunflower installations). Many thanks to those of you who shared opinions at our most recent FPNA monthly meeting and via email. If you have not weighed in on the issue, please write to FPNA Executive Secretary Amy Mendillo by replying to this email. For background, read recent coverage of the issue in GoLocalProv here, and PBN here. Review the proposals themselves, in full, here (scroll to April 11 "Supplemental Materials").  Image, I-195 District.

Walkers to Wait. Those of us who eagerly await the completion of the Pedestrian Bridge connecting Fox Point to the Jewelry District will have to wait another year to stroll across, according to ProJo, here and PBN, here. Image, I-195 District.
News Around TownNeighbors Mourn Cable Car. As many neighbors know, the Cable Car Cinema, a local treasure for 42 years, will close on May 27. Read about it here and here (Facebook).

Curious About Fox Point? The Providence Warwick Convention Center & Visitor's Bureau recently released free digital guides to 15 RI destinations, including Fox Point. See the guides here and the Fox Point/Wickenden guide, here. Providence Flea Opening Soon. The outdoor "Vintage, Artisans, Makers" market, Providence Flea, will open on June 3 and run on most Sundays from 10-4 on the Providence River Greenway. Learn more here and here.RI Waterfront Concerts at Bold Point ParkVolunteer for PVDFest. The City's annual multicultural arts festival seeks volunteers to help with community engagement, general production tasks, and recycling on the weekend of June 8-10. Free t-shirt and other goodies included! See the PVDFest lineup here and volunteer form, here.  Waterfront Concerts Announced. RI Waterfront Events recently announced its lineup for summertime concerts in Bold Point Park, located right across the river from India Point Park in East Providence. See the concert announcement here. "Unbelievable" Milkshakes in Fox Point. RI Monthly recently lauded Like No Udder, the vegan ice cream shop on Ives Street, for it's "delicious" vegan milkshakes. Check out the article here, and the shop, here.  |

|  |

|  |

|  FPNA Monthly Meeting
SAVE THE DATE The Fox Point Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting
Monday, June 11
7:00pm
Community Room
Vartan Gregorian Elementary School

Agenda to Follow

Thank you, Fox Point neighbors, for participating in the FPNA Earth Day Cleanup in late April! Up and down Wickenden, neighbors cleaned, mulched, and replanted street-side beds like the one above.

The Public is Welcome.
Please Join Us!  |

|  For more information on
the Fox Point Neighborhood Association,
visit
www.fpna.net

email us at
foxpointneighborhood at gmail.com
 or follow us on
Facebook

Become a member!The Fox Point Neighborhood Association  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Directions to FPNA Board MeetingsOur monthly board meetings take place in the Art Room/Community Room of the Vartan Gregorian School. Look for a short driveway at the eastern-most side of the building near the intersection of Governor and Wickenden Streets. The entrance to the Art Room is located about 50 feet down that driveway, on the right-hand side.    |

|  Copyright © 2018 Fox Point Neighborhood Association, All rights reserved.
 You are receiving this email because you are a member of the Fox Point Neighborhood Association or because you have opted into our mailing list, expressed interest or volunteered at one of our events.

Our mailing address is:
Fox Point Neighborhood AssociationPO Box 2315Providence, RI 02906
Copyright © 2018 Fox Point Neighborhood Association. All Rights Reserved. 2018 FPNA.