[Summit] Fw: Events at the Brown Libraries and Books on the Square

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 23:29:58 CDT 2018

Books on the Square, A Learning Ventures, LLC Enterprise
471 Angell Street,Providence, RI 02906

View this email in your browser

| November 2018 Author & Special Events |

|  |

|  |

| Tuesday, November 6 at 7pm
E. Pierre Morenon
Rediscovering Lost Innocence

The late 1800s was marked by major social service infrastructure construction and development. During this period, Rhode Island took on a more active statewide role in public education, sewers, parks, prisons, and child welfare systems. One might expect to find a huge record for custodial children well imbedded in regional literatures or social science and history texts, yet this is not the case. |

|  |

|  |

| Thursday November 15 at 7pm
Catharine H. Murray
Now You See the Sky
In discussion with Ann Hood

When Catharine H. Murray travels to a small town on the banks of the Mekong River to work at a refugee camp, she falls in love and marries a local man with whom she has three sons. When their middle son is diagnosed with cancer at age five, their pursuit of a cure takes them from Thailand to Seattle, before they eventually return to Thailand, settling on a remote mountaintop. |

|  |

| Book Clubs & Discussion Groups
Monthly book club selections will be discounted 10%.

Hadassah Book Club
11/5 @ 7pm - A Tale of Love and Darkness, Amos Oz

Queer Book Club
11/21 @ 7pm - Logical Family, Amistad Maupin

The Young Adult LitClub
11/12 @ 7pm - Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi |

| Kids’ Story Hours

Mon., Babies
10:30-11:00

Sat., All Kids
11:00-11:30

Please Note: Sometimes our story times are cancelled due to sickness or inclement weather. You’re welcome to give us a call around 10am to find out if our story hours are still taking place.

|  |

| Click Here to View Our Online Newsletter |

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Brown University Library News <LibraryNews at brown.edu>To: Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 9:55:24 AM EDTSubject: Highlights from the Brown Library: October 2018

|  |

|  |
|  |

|  |

  |  |
|  |

|  |  |  |  |  |  |  | Forward |

|  |

  |  |

|  |  |  |
|  |

 October Library Highlights
   |  |

|  |

|  |

Event | Ungerleider Haggadot Symposium

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Patrick Ma Digital Scholarship Lab, Rockefeller Library
 October 19, 2018

 Moderated by Professor Adam Teller, the Ungerleider Haggadot Symposium featured three renowned scholars of Judaism and material culture who discussed aspects of the haggadah and how it was shaped to respond to the varied needs of ritual life across time and the Jewish diaspora. More info...

|  |

Event | East Asian Collection Open House

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Gardner Room, Rockefeller Library
 October 19, 2018

 In celebration of Family Weekend, the East Asian Collection librarians hosted an open house during which visitors viewed publications, book art, and printing culture. The Gardner Room houses more than 9,000 volumes of bound books in traditional Chinese bookcases and is one of the most distinguished mid-sized East Asian libraries in North America. More info...

|  |

Event | Patricio Simonetto: Revolution and Queer Politics in Argentina (1967–71)

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Patrick Ma Digital Scholarship Lab, Rockefeller Library
 September 12, 2018

 Patricio Simonetto is a Doctor in Social Science and Humanities (Quilmes University, Argentina). His research focuses on the social and cultural history of sexuality in Latin America. His new research project studies the history of sex-change embodiment in Argentina. More info...

|  |

Upcoming Events

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Workshop Series | Reading, Resisting, and Reimagining
 The Map:

 Visualizing Precarious Lives in Torn Apart / Separados
 Lecture Room, John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage
 Thursday, November 1 at 12 p.m.
 Before There Were Lines Along the Rio Grande
 MacMillan Reading Room, John Carter Brown Library
 Friday, November 2 at 12 p.m.
 Thinking Critically About Data
 Patrick Ma Digital Scholarship Lab, Rockefeller Library
 Tuesday, November 6 at  3 p.m.

 Event | Whiteness, Indigeneity, and Power in Amazonia with Michael Cepek
 Patrick Ma Digital Scholarship Lab, Rockefeller Library
 Friday, November 2, 2018 at 4 p.m.

|  |

Exhibit | The Poetry of Science: Dante's Comedy and the Crafting of a Cosmos

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Exhibition Gallery, John Hay Library
 July 3 - October 23, 2018

 Writing in vernacular Italian, medieval poet Dante Alighieri invited readers to follow him on a journey through Hell, Purgatory, and Paradise. Those who made the trip returned with different impressions of his cosmos, illustrating the Comedy in ways that reveal as much about their cultural worlds as Dante’s. More info...

|  |

Exhibit | Mail carried by Murier, an enslaved person

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Second Floor Landing, John Hay Library
 October 3 - 31, 2018

 This piece of paper, sent from Christopher Scott of Petersburg to Nathan Nield of Mercer County, served as both letter and, when folded, as envelope, with a red wax seal. Known today as “slave carried mail,” this letter was carried by “a Negro woman Murier” and contains information about an exchange of Murier for another enslaved female named Christian. More info...

|  |

Exhibit | From Gospel Hymns to “Mississippi Goddam”: the Evolving Soundtrack of the Civil Rights Era and Beyond

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Orwig Music Library
 May 1 - November 2, 2018

 Music was a sonic weapon used by Civil Rights organizations against violence and oppression. Songs were used to inspire, unite, and comfort participants at meetings, sit-ins, marches, and in jail cells. Trace the journey for equality and the music it inspired and discover iconic pieces that have become staples of protest movements around the world. More info...

|  |

Exhibit | The Brown Bear: A History

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Willis Reading Room, John Hay Library
 May 23, 2017 - November 30, 2018

 Curated by Sports Archivist Peter Mackie '59, this exhibit showcases the history, lore, and various incarnations of Bruno, the Brown University mascot, from its establishment in 1904 to today. More info...

|  |

Exhibit | Works from Contemporary Architecture: A Course with Dietrich Neumann

|  |  |
|  |  |

 Finn Reading Room Cases, Rockefeller Library
 July 24 - December 1, 2018

 Works on display were created by students in Prof. Dietrich Neumann's course, "Contemporary Architecture," which surveys stylistic, technological, and theoretical developments in architecture from the 1960s to the present. Students were asked to create a model of based on a building or industrial design object from this time period. More info...

|  |

  |  |

|  |

|  |