[Summit] Fw: News from College Hill, Waterman St. Dog Park, the Jewelry District, the Elmwood & S. Providence

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 23:33:38 CDT 2018

|  |

Summer is winding down while events in our neighborhood and city are heating up!

| Celebrate in Prospect Park! |

| Bring a lawn chair, a blanket, a family member, and a neighbor for a concert in Prospect Park Terrace!  This is a great opportunity to see the restoration work to-date, hear more about the next phase of the project, and enjoy the sounds of Vox Hunters.

We look forward to seeing you Monday, September 17 from 6 -7 PM at Prospect Park Terrace.

A special thanks to the Providence Parks Department and Mayor Jorge Elorza in partnering with the College Hill Neighborhood Association for this event. |

|  |

| Fane Tower Proposal - Update |

|  |

| Image from www.195district.com |

With standing room only, CHNA joined 10 City Neighborhood Associations, East Side City Council Members Zurier (Ward 2), Yurden (Ward 1) and LaFortune (Ward 3), and countless residents from all corners of Providence to oppose the Fane Tower proposal during the public hearing on July 18.

CHNA's letter of opposition was read into the record at the hearing.

After the CPC (City Plan Commission) and City Council's own Ordinance Committee voted NOT to recommend the changes, the full City Council will take up the matter. The next vote will take place with the entire Providence City Council.  We anticipate the Fane Organization's petition for changes to the zoning ordinance and zoning map to be on the agenda Thursday, September 6th.

1. Pack the City Council Chamber on September 6th!

Join other concerned citizens to show opposition to the tower and urge the City Council not to approve the zoning changes. The meeting is at 7pm at the City Council Chamber (City Hall); we are still waiting for a confirmed agenda. While we do not expect this to be a public hearing (no public comment), #2 below is imperative... We need a show of opposition, so please turn-out and bring a sign!

2.  Contact your Councilperson!

Please WRITE, EMAIL or CALL your councilperson today in opposition to these changes to the zoning ordinance which accommodates one developer, and would set a dangerous and misguided precedent for the future of Providence.

Please send words of support to our East Side Council Members who have voiced their opposition to the proposal.  In addition, Council President David Salvatore, released a statement opposing the project earlier this month - Thank You!

Thanks to our partners in this advocacy effort, PPS for use of some of their content above

|  |  |

|  |
Providence City Council president opposes 600-foot high-rise proposal

Madeleine List

While the skyscraper, known as the Hope Point Tower, would not be a good fit for the proposed location, it could...

|  |  |

|  |
Members | Providence City Council

| Primary Election - September 12 - Ward 2 Candidates! |

|  |

| It's election season!  Ward 2 is gearing up for a three-way primary to fill the city council seat being vacated by Councilman Sam Zurier.

Click on the three candidate's names below to link to their campaign home pages to find out more about each:
   - Helen Anthony (D)
   - Mark Feinstein (D)
   - Ryan Holt (D)

CHNA would like to thank Councilman Zurier for his leadership, partnership, and service to the College Hill community.

Our neighbors in Ward 1 will be voting on city council seats as well.  Candidates are Councilman Seth Yurdin (D) and Justice Gaines (D).

Ward 3's Councilwoman Nirva Lafortune (D) is unopposed. |

| Student Housing Ordinance |

| On August 14th, the CPC Referral Review Subcommittee met to consider the state of student housing within the current zoning ordinance.  Deputy Chief of Police Cmdr. Thomas Verdi and Building Official Jeff Lykins were joined by representatives from the City's law department and CPC staff to hear about the reality of current regulations and enforcement, and learn about how other college towns are addressing this issue.
Deputy Planning Director Bob Azar asked for public comments, questions, and recommendations about the student housing ordinance to be sent to CPC staff (via cmanjrekar at providenceri.gov) for consideration by commissioners at the next subcommittee meeting (date TBD).
|  |

Have  you seen blue signs popping up all over College Hill? Residents are reacting to weak zoning enforcement that allows single-family homes to be occupied with far too many students. If you want to know more, lend support, or get a sign for your own yard, email them at: collegehillzoning at gmail.com.

Content provided by PPS. |

|  |

| Next CHNA Meeting |

| Due to the concert in Prospect Park Terrance, our September 10th meeting will be cancelled.

We will resume our monthly meetings on Monday, October 1 at 7PM. The meetings are held at the Lippitt House, located at 199 Hope Street.

Meetings are open to the public.  If you have an item to be considered for the agenda, please email chna at chnaprovidence.org.  Be sure to include the details of your topic, time allotment requested, and your contact information. |

|  |

|  |

|  |

| Copyright © 2018 College Hill Neighborhood Association, All rights reserved.
Thank your for joining the email list for the College Hill Neighborhood Association!

Our mailing address is:
College Hill Neighborhood AssociationP.O Box 2442Providence, RI 02906

|  |

|  |

The September Meeting is on Tuesday the 11th at 7:00pm at Books on the Square (471 Angell Street facing Elmgrove).The park is very busy in the fall and it would be a great service to join the Waterman Street Dog Park association and help out on some projects and responsibilities to continue making the Park a great destination for dogs and owners alike.Last Sunday a volunteer group held a work day at the Park helping to spread chips and improve our trails and open spaces.We are very appreciative of their support of the Park (and anyone that stopped and chipped in).
Waterman Street Dog Park Association19 Luzon AveProvidence, RI 02906

|  |

|  |

| Come to the
Jewelry District Association Meeting
and Get Updated
   - I-195 Commission & its work
   - Fane and The City Council's decision
   - Our Park and Bridge
   - Open forum on what you want from the JDA

| And learn about our special guest for our December meeting.
(Hint , she is from Brown and VERY important) |

|  |

|  |

| I-195 Commission

Most days, we hear about the I-195 Commission in the news, now we can get an inside view.

Peter McNally, Executive Director of the I-195 Commission (and JDA Board Member) will share the Commission's mission and how it operates in pursuit of that mission.

Peter will also update us on the status of parcels ... what has been accomplished, what has been approved and what has been proposed. |

|  |

|  |

| Get a report on things happening in the District.

-  Get an update on the Pedestrian Bridge (open soon?)

- The City Council will have voted on the Fane Tower, how did they vote, more importantly, what does it mean to the District? |

|  |

| - Today, our park looks like a grassless field with a collection of construction equipment.  What will it look like, what has to be done, and when will it be finished? |

| - Open forum on the JDA, what are we doing, and what do you think we should be doing?  For our meetings, what do you want to hear about?  How can we improve things?  |

| - Open forum on the JDA, what are we doing, and what do you think we should be doing.  For our meetings, what do you want to hear about.  How can things improve? |

|  |

|  |

| AND SOME INFORMATION

The JDA will be holding a neighborhood clean-up on Friday September 28th starting at 9:30. Sign-up here

Tree Planting will be in October.  The exact date will be set by the City and we will should know soon.

The JDA, PPS and Building Bridges are offering historic tours of the District throughout September, register here. |

|  |

Join us at South Street Landing in Room 498 at 5:00 PM on Tuesday September 11th
. |

|  |
| 360 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903
Directions

|  |

|  |

|  |

| For More Information, go to the JDA Web Site |

|  |

| Copyright © 2018 Jewelry District Association, All rights reserved.
You have expressed an interest in both the Jewelry District and the Jewelry District Association

Our mailing address is:
Jewelry District Association150 Chestnut St.Unit 8PProvidence, RI 02903 |

  ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Karen Hlynsky <karen_ena at earthlink.net>Sent: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 12:07:15 AM EDTSubject: ENA Newsletter - September 2018

Elmwood Neighborhood Association Newsletter – September 2018
Prepared by Karen Hlynsky, Chair, Elmwood Neighborhood Association

Don’t forget to vote
    Primary elections will be held on Wednesday, September 12 this year.  You can find a sample ballot here: https://vote.sos.ri.gov/

     A mayoral forum will be held at URI downtown on September 4. Residents of Ward 9 may find this article about the city council candidates relevant: https://www.wpri.com/news/dan-mcgowan/a-voters-guide-to-the-city-council-race-in-ward-9/1382201169
     On August 22,  the Elmwood Community Center hosted a City Council Candidate Forum that focused on the housing crisis throughout Providence. City Councilors and council candidates made a strong case that the lack of affordable housing (affordable for who?) is the number one issue facing the city today.  There was strong representation from Elmwood, the South Side, the Jewelry District, and a few other wards.

Parent Leadership Training Institute is now recruiting
      If you live in Providence, care about children’s future, and want to develop strong leadership skills, apply now to CAPP’s 2018 PLTI program! This 20-week program is open to parents, teenage parents, grandparents, and other adults. Childcare and meals are provided at no cost during the weekly workshops. Download and submit your application online at www.cappri.org.  For more information contact Jennie Coronado, 401 272-2000 ext 109 or 401-996-2670, jcoronado at cappri.org.

Neighborhood park news
    Peace and Plenty Park hosted a robust summer schedule with many activities for both kids and adults. Over 75 people attended Project 401’s performance and Meet Your Elected Officials evening.  A BIG thanks to Youth Build and Ground Works RI Green Team for their help in the park and garden - and for weeding and mulching the gardens and tree wells on Knight Memorial Library lawn.  Volunteers from AARP RI and Lincoln School will be doing community service in the park this month in preparation for the 10th anniversary celebration there on September 16.

     In July Sidy Maiga and Project 401 performed in Columbus Square.  Attendance was not nearly as robust as in Peace and Plenty,  but their intimate evening performances under the trees showed the potential for having more activities there.  A resident of Reservoir Ave came by surprised to hear that Columbus Square is actually a park.  Yes, it is indeed a park and a gateway to the neighborhood. Coming up this fall: RI Bucket Drummers and a Sowing Place event.

Block Party in Trinity Square a great success
     Hundreds of people came to the Trinity Square Block Party on August 26. Organizer Debbie Schimberg wrote, “It was amazing to see and appreciate all of the diversity and all of the joy that this event represented for Trinity Square.”  Heartfelt thanks go out to the REN Church, the City Love team, the Southside Cultural Center, Empire Loan, Southside Community Land Trust, Providence Police, the Providence Fire Department, the Mayor’s Office, the Department of Arts, Culture + Tourism, SWAP, Kite Architects, the Department of Public Works, the Department of Providence Parks, the community organizations that supported the Block Party with tables and offerings, and all the musicians who performed.  The next Trinity Square meeting will be on September 7.

PEMA hosts a Touch-A-Truck event
     As activities in the parks wind down for fall, PEMA is inviting residents to a Touch-A-Truck event on September 9.  It’s a great chance to see how fire trucks and police cars look inside and to take a look at the technology used for communication and to keep us safe. (See calendar for details.)

Fighting noise in the neighborhood
      Residents on both sides of the neighborhood have been fighting with the city to do something about noise.  The car wash on Elmwood Ave has attracted motorcycles that rev their engines late into the night. Residents near Montecristo have tried to reduce noise coming from entertainment and customers leaving the club in noisy cars.  On Broad St night clubs and the Sunday car shows at Mi Sueno have pushed nearby residents time and again to the Board of Licenses to speak out against late night noise and daytime noise levels.
     On Thursday,  August 30 Attorney Casby Harrison, who has been engaged to represent the neighbor voice, spoke at the Board of Licenses. He injected a well presented case for letting "common sense" rule in the matter of excessive noise and its cumulative impact on neighbors.
     Residents had reported that on Sunday,  August 26 Mi Sueno allowed music to play until 11:00 pm — well past the 8:00 pm limit previously set by the board.  The Board decided to allow Mi Sueno to open this coming Sunday and has directed that another independent decibel level survey be done.  (The owner, Jesus Titin offered to pay for this but his offer was not accepted. ) The letter from Commissioner Pare which gives Mi Sueno permission to exceed the ordinance noise limits was once again discussed.  This coming week, there will be another meeting to review this ongoing situation.

Unkept properties invite crime
    It’s been a hot, hot summer - much too hot to work outside.  As it gets a bit cooler,  you can do your part to keep the neighborhood looking cared for. Pick up litter, cut the grass, pull weeds, trim shrubs (especially the ones that block sidewalks), plant some colorful mums in your yard or containers.
     Take a look around your neighborhood for broken sidewalks, potholes, graffiti, missing manhole covers, mattresses and other furniture left on sidewalks, missing and downed stop and parking signs. Report them at http://www.providenceri.gov/pvd-311. Better yet, download the PVD311 app, take a picture, and report the address.  The city needs to hear from us.

***********

SEPTEMBER MEETINGS and EVENTS

Providence Mayoral Forum
Tuesday,  September 4, 7:00 - 8:30
URI’s Paff Auditorium, 80 Washington St
     The public is invited to hear the five mayoral candidates discuss the issues that affect the capital city. Questions for the candidates may be sent to LWVProvidence at lwvri.org (email is case sensitive).  The event is hosted by the Providence League of Women Voters, in conjunction with URI’s MPA Program at Alan Shawn Feinstein College of Education and Professional Studies. Scott McKay, commentator for RI Public Radio Roundtable, will moderate.
Web announcement: http://lwvriprov.blogspot.com/2018/08/lwv-mayoral-debate.html

Contact:  mclark at aol.com

Sankofa Eats! Cultural Exchange
Thursday, September 6, 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Sankofa Community Room, 70 Westfield St,  West End
    Sankofa Presents a night of Cultural Exchange with Chef Julius Searight of Food4Good Food Truck.  Entertainment provided by DJ Sprain. Tickets: $50.
More Info: 401 453-3220 ext 15

Trinity Square meeting
Friday, September 7, 2:00 pm
SWAP Community Room, 500 Broad St
     Review the recent Block Party and plan next steps.
Contact: Debbie Schimberg, deborah at gleegum.com

KML Friends meeting
Monday, September 10, 6:00 to 7:30
Knight Memorial Library, 275 Elmwood Ave
     Join the Friends to develop library programs, work on building improvements, develop fundraising events, participate in book sales.

Contact: Debbie Schimberg, Deborah at gleegum.com

Community Service Day at Peace and Plenty Park
Tuesday, September 11, 10 to 12
Peace and Plenty Park
      AARP RI is dedicating their annual volunteer community service day to the park. To volunteer contact Darlene Reza Rossi at dresarossi at aarp.org - or just show up.

Primary Election
Wednesday,  September 12
    The statewide primary has been moved to Wednesday due to a religious holiday.  Depending on your address, you may be required to vote at the Center for Southeast Asians (270 Elmwood), at Algonquin House (807 Broad St), or another location. To find your polling place and to see a list of local candidates, go to https://vote.sos.ri.gov/

Elmwood Ave Business & Community Association (EBCA) meeting
Wednesday, September 12, 9:00 – 10:30 am

Elmwood Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 225 Elmwood Ave
     Join a group committed to bringing greenery to Elmwood Ave and enlivening its public spaces with entertainment and community activities.
RSVP to Karen, Karen_ena at earthlink.net, (401) 941-8249
Note: EBCA meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.

Neighbors for Revitalization (N4R) meeting
Wednesday, September 12, 6:00 to 7:30 pm
Location: contact Teresa Guaba
     Neighbors For Revitalization is working to prioritize the remediation of abandoned and hazardous properties in the West End, Elmwood, and South Side of Providence for the health and well being of all residents.
Web: http://cycprovidence.org/neighbors-4-revitalization-n4r

For more info, contact Teresa Guaba, 401 345-7434, teresa_guaba at cycprovidence.org
Note: N4R has been meeting on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, however, the meeting date may be changing.

Community Service at Peace and Plenty Park
Friday, September 14, 9:00 to 12:00
Peace and Plenty Park
     Join Lincoln School volunteers to care for all things in the park, garden and area trees. Contact: Doug, doug.crimewatch at gmail.com

PEMA Touch-A-Truck Event
Saturday, September 15, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
PEMA, 591 Charles St, Providence, 02904
     Join Providence Emergency Management Agency for our free Touch-a-Truck Event. Explore what’s inside a police car, fire truck, PEMA mobile command vehicle, SWAT vehicle, American Red Cross Response vehicle, and military vehicles.  Watch demonstrations by RI canine search and rescue dogs, an amateur radio PEMA RACES Team, and meet Sparky the Fire Dog. Free preparedness items will be provided to children.
Contact: Pat Fitzgerald, pfitzgerald at providenceri.gov, 401 680-8096

10-Year Anniversary Celebration at Peace and Plenty Park
Sunday, September 16, 2:00 pm
Peace and Plenty Park
The Anniversary Committee is working hard to make this an event to remember.  Stay tuned for details.

ENA Advisory Board meeting
Sunday, September ?, 5:30

Date and location to be determined.
More information: Paula Donovan, paula.on.lenox at gmail.com

Crime Watch meeting for Elmwood & South Providence
Wednesday, September 26, 6:00 – 7:30
640 Broad St, YMCA for Youth Development Community Room (across from St Joseph’s)
     Meet with Lt. James Barros, who reports on incidents in the previous month. Talk face to face with police to resolve quality of life issues. For agenda updates, contact Doug, doug.crimewatch at gmail.com
Note: Crime Watch meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday of the month. Crime Watch window placards are available at each meeting.

South Providence Neighborhood Association meeting
Thursday, September 27, 6:00 to 8:00
Community Preparatory School, South Providence
     A recent focus of SPNA is the redevelopment of the Barbara Jordan II Housing developments.  They have also addressed issues on Broad St.
Note: SPNA meetings are generally held on the 4th Thursday of each month

POP UP MARKETS

Food Truck Fridays
Fridays, 5:00 pm
Carousel Village, Roger Williams Park
     Enjoy over 15 locally owned food, beer, and wine trucks while listening to live music. There’s limited seating so bring a chair or blanket to use on the lawn. See the full list of food trucks attending at https://www.foodtrucksin.com/food-truck-events.

Friends of Knight Memorial Library Book Sales
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10:30 to 12:30
Wednesdays, 2:30 to 5:30
Knight Memorial Library, 275 Elmwood Ave
     Over 8000 items are in stock, including books, DVDs, CDs, videos, LPs. It’s the best little book sale in town and the only one in the South Side! Deep discounts continue on these items: soft cover fiction, 10/$1.  Videos, 6/$1.  Select LPs, 10/ $1.  Select CDs, 4/$1.  Select DVDs, 2/$1.

Sankofa World Market
Saturdays, 11 - 3 at Southside Cultural Center through December (May 5 to Dec)

Wednesdays, 2 - 6 at Knight Memorial Library Lawn (June 20 to Oct 31)
     For the past 4 years Sankofa World Market has celebrated the food, culture , and community of the West End.  This year West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation celebrates the beginning of our 5th market season with entertainment, food, and more. Head to the library lawn each Wednesday for locally grown produce, fun family friendly activities, live performers from our community, and local artisan crafts and food.

Broad St Farmers Market
Saturdays, 8 -12 at 807 Broad St (June 16 to Oct 27)

PARK, LIBRARY, SOCIAL EVENTS

Elmwood Community Center: https://www.cappri.org/programs/senior-services
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 11:00 to 2:00 - Activities for seniors

Knight Memorial Library: www.provcomlib.org/locations/knight-memorial
Includes maker workshops for school age and teens,  a teen movie night, Sankofa Market, and book sales

Roger Williams Park: https://rwpconservancy.org/events/2018-09/
Includes yoga in the park, a bird walk, and moon hike.

South Providence Library: http://www.provcomlib.org/locations/South-Providence
Includes Spanish GED classes, free ESOL classes, advanced Spanish, Carnaval Borinqueno de RI hosted by the Puerto Rican community.

Southside Cultural Center: http://www.sccri.org/scc-events/?view=calendar&month=September-2018

Includes improvisation performances, tai chi class,  West African drum class, contemporary African dance class, intergenerational chess.

ENA COMMUNICATIONS

     Please like the new Facebook page at ElmwoodPVD.

Reach of the ENA newsletter: 60 members of the Elmwood Exchange
and 170 additional neighbors, city officials, and staff of community organizations.