[Summit] Fw: Local News from Fox Point to DownCity to Reservoir Ave.

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 12:58:57 CDT 2018

This is another omnibus mailing (to save your in-box from getting four more e-mails) about neighborhood and civic events from one end of Providence to the other.
   - Fox Point’s newsletter (with news of East Side and citywide interest, including the City Council’s consideration of the Fane Tower rezoning request tonight)

   - News from the Downtown Parks Conservancy (no Burnside Park concert tonight)
   - News from the Providence Art Club, including a members’ show this Sunday
   - Reservoir Triangle association’s election debate tonight between City Councillor Wilbur Jennings (D, 13th Ward) and his challengers
   - Mayor Elorza’s “Citywide Conversation” with Elmvood residents on Monday 17 September
Have a nice, cool weekend,
Dave

  ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Fox Point Neighborhood Association <foxpointneighborhood at gmail.com>To:Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018, 11:30:27 AM EDTSubject: FPNA News: Ruling, Roadwork, River Ride + more

|    |

|  View this email
in your browser  |

|  Paul Carter  |

|  FPNA NEWS
The Fox Point Neighborhood AssociationSeptember 6, 2018  |

|  NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS
Council to Consider Tower. This evening, the Providence City Council will deliberate on a zoning change requested by architect Jason Fane for a 600-foot luxury high-rise tower. Opposition from neighbors and advocacy groups remains strong. The Providence Preservation Society released a short video, here, and states its position, here. Council President David Salvatore opposes the project, as reported here and here. Ward 1 City Councilor Seth Yurdin states his opposition here and comments here. FPNA opposes the change, as described here. See the meeting agenda, here. Note that this meeting is not a public hearing; anyone may attend, but the Council will not take public comments. Image, 195District.

Leaded Water Still an Issue in Providence. While many public service pipes have been replaced in Fox Point in recent years, some Providence homes and buildings still have elevated lead levels in their drinking water. Read about recent data released by Providence Water, here (WPRI) and in EcoRI News, here. See an interactive map, here. Image credit, here, via photopin, cc.

Updates Released on Neighborhood Projects. Ward 1 City Councilor Seth Yurdin recently shared information on upcoming local roadwork, progress with lower Gano Street, seawall repairs in India Point Park, action on the proposed Fane Tower, repairs to Cathedral Square, and more. Read the message here. Image credit, here.

Fall Farmers' Market Opens on Thayer. Farm Fresh RI announced its fall Farmers' Market at Brown University which will run every Wednesday from 11-2 outside the Science Library on Thayer Street (at Waterman), through October 31. Learn more here, here, and here.  |

|  NEIGHBORHOOD + CITY
Events, Meetings and Elections
 EventsRI Seafood Festival. The 2018 festival will be held in India Point Park this Saturday, September 8, from 11-7pm. Learn more here. Image credit, here.
 River Rides on the Seekonk. The Blackstone Parks Conservancy is offering boat tours of the Seekonk River and shore, Sunday, September 16, at 11:00am, 12:00 and 1:00pm, at the Narragansett Boat Club Dock, 2 River Drive (River Road). Learn more here and here.Providence Flea, the outdoor market on South Water Street, continues every Sunday morning through the end of October at 345 South Water, 10am-4pm. Learn more here. Meetings + ElectionsJewelry District Association monthly meeting, Tuesday, September 11 at 5pm at South Street Landing. Agenda includes Peter McNally of the 195 Commission. Learn more here.

Waterman Street Dog Park Monthly meeting, Tuesday, September 11 at 7pm at Books on the Square. Learn more here.Primary Elections, held next Wednesday, September 12, will include local races for Providence City Council and Providence Mayor, as well as contests for other state and national-level posts. See the ballot here. Image, here.

FPNA Monthly Meeting. Please join us on Tuesday, October 9 at 7pm at the Vartan Gregorian School. Learn more here; see poster and directions, below.   |

|  FPNA Monthly Meeting
SAVE THE DATE
Seekonk River Basin Area, Slated for Redesign by Seekonk Riverbank Revitalization Alliance
 The Fox Point Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, October 9
*Note Tuesday Meeting*
7:00pm
Art Room/Community Room
Vartan Gregorian Elementary School

Agenda to Follow
Learn more at the FPNA website

Please Join Us!  |

|  |

|  |

Questions?
Contact FPNA Executive Secretary Amy Mendillo at
foxpointneighborhood at gmail.com
or by replying to this message

For more information on
the Fox Point Neighborhood Association,
visit
www.fpna.net
 or follow us on
Facebook

Become a member!The Fox Point Neighborhood Association  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  Directions to FPNA Monthly MeetingsFPNA monthly meetings take place on the second Monday of each month in the Art Room/Community Room of the Vartan Gregorian School (in cases of Monday holidays, we meet the following day). Look for a short driveway at the eastern-most side of the building near the intersection of Governor and Wickenden Streets. The entrance to the Art Room is located about 50 feet down that driveway on the right-hand side.    |

|  Copyright © 2018 Fox Point Neighborhood Association, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
Fox Point Neighborhood AssociationPO Box 2315Providence, RI 02906

Copyright © 2018 Fox Point Neighborhood Association. All Rights Reserved. 2018 FPNA.

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

Burnside Music Series + Beer Garden Returns September 13

Just a reminder, there is no Burnside Music Series + Beer Garden tonight, but that doesn't mean you need to stay home, you can still enjoy a cold beer with friends at the (air-conditioned!) bar at Trinity Brewhouse.

Join us in Burnside Park on September 13 with a special fall edition that kicks off with two special solo performances on the Burnside Stage.

First to take the stage will be EDT, the solo project of Emily Dix Thomas. Emily has previously performed with The Huntress & Holder of Hands, as well as Nova One. After a short break, Joel Thibodeau of Death Vessel will perform a special solo performance.

Following the music, Rachel Blumberg is back in the park with her installation Sound/Picture/Sound. Rachel creates a magical enviroment where participants make drawings that turn into sound, and then into visual projections.

Also in the park that night, DJ Tom from Javelin spins tunes before the music, and Ocean State Oyster Festival returns with a raw bar featuring Salt Pond Oysters. It's Buck-a-Shuck from 5:30 – 6:30, then $2 each from 6:30 until they run out of oysters. Enter their raffle for a chance to win two tickets to OysterFest on September 22.

As always, there will be delicious beer from Trinity Brewhouse, and Ja Patty will be there if you get hungry.

Upcoming Dates:
September 20 // Michelle Cruz performs Do I Move You?, a tribute to Nina Simone, followed by Movie Night. Providence Children's Film Festival presents Step (2017)

September 27 // Lonnie Gasperini Organ Trio

October 4 // Death Vessel

Details >

|  |

|  |

|  |

UPCOMING EVENTS

| September 11: Downtown Farmer's Market will be set up along Washington Street and Kidoinfo Play in the Park will happen on the steps on the Imagination Center.

September 12: Folk duo Cardboard Ox plays Noon Tunes.

September 13: Burnside Music Series + Beer Garden returns! After the music, stick around for Sound/Picture/Sounds, a project by Rachel Blumberg.

October 9: Public Memory/Public Spaces, screening and discussion with filmmaker at Barrington Public Library.

Be sure to follow our Facebook page and be the first to know details! |

|  |

|  |

| The Downtown Providence Parks Conservancy is a public-private partnership dedicated to creating a world-class parks system in our city’s historic urban core. We are a placemaking organization that believes in transforming public spaces by transforming the way people use them. The core of our current mission is the improvement of Greater Kennedy Plaza, including Burnside Park and Biltmore Park, through free public programming, maintenance and stewardship, urban design, community engagement, issue advocacy, and funding. Learn more here.

CONTACT US
30 Exchange Terrace, 4th Floor  Providence, RI  02903
(401) 521-8800    |    info at kennedyplaza.org

******************************************************************************************************************************************

| Trouble viewing this email? Click here to view it in your browser. |

|  |

| Fall Members' ExhibitionOpening Reception & Awards CeremonyThis Sunday, September 9, 2-4pm$5,000 in Prizes to Be Awarded! |

|  |

|  |

|  |

|  |

| This exhibition features 150 pieces by the Exhibiting Artist Members of the Providence Art Club. Works in all media will be on view; from paintings, prints, and photography, to collage, glass, jewelry, and ceramics. Prizewinners will be announced during a short awards ceremony at Sunday's opening. This exhibition will continue through Friday, September 21.
Prizes were selected by Allyson Boli, Director of Abigail Ogilvy Gallery of Boston. Prior to joining Abigail Ogilvy Gallery, a contemporary exhibition space in Boston's SOWA District, Ms. Boli worked in Development at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. She is a current member of the Museum Council at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston and earned her undergraduate degree at the University of Vermont. The Club is thrilled to welcome Allyson as our awards judge for this important exhibition.
Join us Sunday, September 9 from 2-4pm to see which thirteenworks were selected by Allyson for $5,000 in prize money! |

|  |

| Regular Gallery Hours ReturnWeekdays 12-4pmWeekends 2-4pmand also by appointment. To book a time to see our exhibitions outside of regular gallery hours, please contact Michael Rose. |

| ‌ |

| Mark Your Calendar for ourNext Opening Reception Sunday, September 23, 2-4pmOn view in Maxwell Mays Gallery:Tiffany Adams, Richard Harrington, and Elizabeth Bonner Zimmerman:Moments On The Path
On view in the Mary Castlnovo Gallery:Veronica Farrell: Retrospective
On view in Dodge House GalleryMichael Rich: Blue
Join the Facebook Event for our September 23 Opening Receptionsand invite your friends. All are welcome!

|  |

| For more information about any of the programs here, please feel free to contact Art Club Gallery Manager Michael Rose at 401-331-1114 ext. 5, or via email at michael at providenceartclub.org.
Our staff is always happy to talk more about programs and assist you in planning your visit! |

| Join the Art Club on Social Media |

|  ‌  ‌  ‌ |

| DON'T MISS OUT ON PROVIDENCE ART CLUB NEWS, JOIN OUR MAILING LIST |

|  |

| Contact us:Providence Art Club 11 Thomas Street Providence RI 02903 (401) 331-1114RESERVATIONS reservations at providenceartclub.orgGALLERY michael at providenceartclub.orgINFORMATION info at providenceartclub.orgWEBSITE www.providenceartclub.org |

|  |

| Providence Art Club | 11 Thomas Street, Providence, RI 02903 |
|  |

|  |

| CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATES FORUM
All 5 Candidates For City Council In Ward 8 Will Take Part
Sponsored By
RESERVOIR TRIANGLENEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
THURSDAY   SEPTEMBER 6   5:45 P.M.
At The POTTER’S HOUSE CHURCH77 RESERVOIR AVE.Mashapaug CommonsBetween Alvarez High School and Blast Fitness Center(Enter the Commons from Reservoir Ave.,traffic light to the right of Popeye’s Chicken)
        Moderators:        DAN McGOWAN – Channel 12 News        BARBARA HAMILTON TRAINOR – Former                 Anchorwoman for Channel 12 News,                 And Acting President of RTNA
        Candidates Coming        Councilman WILBUR JENNINGS – Democrat        DEYA GARCIA – Democrat        JAMES TAYLOR – Democrat        CARLOS DIAZ – Independent        DAVID TALAN – Independent

Forum will be filmed by Steve Ahlquist, and can be viewed on UpriseRI.comYou can also view last week’s candidate forum in South Elmwood on this site.But there is no substitute for being there in person.

¶ Neighbors,
Please attend this event at Reservoir Ave Elementary School to speak with Mayor Elorza directly about neighborhood issues. To make sure your questions and concerns are addressed, contact Kimberley Gonzalez (below) prior to the event.
Karen
(Karen Hlynsky, secretary of the Elmwood Neighborhood Association)