[Summit] New Year's Eve + Holiday Hours +, JCC & local Library events + Demystifying Democracy + PVD Fest 2020

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 19:13:14 UTC 2019

NYE ONE Providence by Skyline at Waterplace

The event follows a successful 2018 celebration and will offer an array of activities: complimentary outdoor entertainment, complete with a warming tent for families; a ticketed black tie gala, and a celebration on the rooftop of the Skyline at Waterplace events venue. All outdoor activities are free and open to the public!
To welcome 2020, Providence will host a free outdoor spectacular in Waterplace Park beginning at 7pm, which will feature a classic New Year’s Eve ball drop, entertainment, and a spectacular close-proximity fireworks display. In addition, Finance Way will be closed to traffic to accommodate a host of Providence’s legendary food trucks. Popular holiday beverages and souvenirs will also be sold throughout the night in the Basin. Also beginning at 7pm, the black-tie gala event at Skyline will include passed hors d’oeuvres, dinner, desserts, valet, party favors, cash bar, a champagne toast at midnight, entertainment from multiple DJs, and special live performances by XS Band. At 9pm, a tented rooftop celebration will begin, and include light fare from Skyline, entertainment, and front row viewing of the ball drop and firework show. Valet for purchase.
For tickets and more information, visit www.nyebyskyline.com

|  |  |

|  |
One Providence – NYE by Skyline – Lets celebrate together, as one!

|   |

RIPTA to Run Sunday/Holiday Service Schedule On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 And Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Regular Fixed-Route Service Resumes December 26th & January 2nd

The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) will operate all fixed-route bus service on a Sunday/Holiday schedule on Wednesday, December 25, 2019 in observance of Christmas Day and Wednesday, January 1, 2020 in observance of New Year’s Day.

The following service changes will also occur for both holidays:
Flex Services, including Rte. 210 Kingston Flex Service, will not be available; and the statewide RIde Program will operate only ADA trips. Regularly scheduled Flex and RIde service will resume on Thursday.

RIPTA offices, including the Photo Identification and Ticket Sales Offices in Kennedy Plaza, will not be staffed on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day. Also, the Flex Service reservation line (1-877-906-FLEX) and the RIde reservation line (461-9760) will not be staffed on either holiday. RIPTA offices will be open during regular business hours on Thursday, December 26th and Thursday, January 2nd.

|  |  |
|  |  |

|   | Year-End Holiday Schedule |

| The Jewish Alliance will be observing the following holiday schedule. We wish you and your family a safe and happy New Year!
 Tuesday, December 31New Year's Eve Fitness Center:  5:00am - 5:00pmAquatics: 5:30am - 4:30pmEarly Childhood Center: Closed  J-Cation: 8:00am - 12:00pm (no J-Space today) Alliance Offices: 8:30am - 5:00pm Wednesday, January 1New Year's DayFitness Center:  7:00am - 12:00pmAquatics: 7:30am - 11:30amEarly Childhood Center: Closed  J-Space / J-Cation: Closed  Alliance Offices: Closed |

|  |
| December 20, 2019 | 22 Kislev 5780 |
|  |

|  |
|  |

|  |

|  |

| _______________
|  JANUARY
45:00pmto10:00pm

|  |

Kids' Night Out Dwares JCC 401 Elmgrove Avenue | Providence, RI
Price: $40 | Members $30 | Siblings $20

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

JANUARY
87:00pmto9:00pm

|  |

Israeli Culture Night: Documentary"The Last Flight of Petr Ginz" Dwares JCC401 Elmgrove Avenue | Providence, RI
There is no cost to attend this event.  Relatives of Petr Ginz will be in attendance to answer questions after the film.

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

JANUARY
236:00pm

|  |

The Great RI Pink Challah Bakefor women and girls only   Temple Emanu-El99 Taft Avenue | Providence, RI
Price: $36 | Children under 18: $18
Co-sponsored by Core Connects RI, Touro Synagogue, Temple Emanu-El, Congregation Beth Sholom, Temple Beth-El, JCDSRI, Camp JORI, Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island, Crown Markets, The Miriam Hospital, TW Financial Group, Hadassah Rhode Island, New England Yachad.

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________
|  JANUARY
255:00pmto10:00pm

|  |

Kids' Night Out Dwares JCC 401 Elmgrove Avenue | Providence, RI
Price: $40 | Members $30 | Siblings $20

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

JANUARY
26

|  |

Day-at-the-J! Dwares JCC 401 Elmgrove Avenue | Providence, RI

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

JANUARY
 26 4:00pmto5:00pm

|  |

Part of the "Behind the Book" series
"Goodnight Bubbala," with author Sheryl Haft Dwares JCC 401 Elmgrove Avenue | Providence, RI
Price: $3 | $10 per family

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

JANUARY
297:00pm

|  |

Part of the "Behind the Book" series
"Witness: Lessons from Elie Wiesel's Classroom," with author Ariel Burger The Higgins Welcome Center at URIHope Room45 Upper College Road | Kingston, RI
No cost to attend.

This event is made possible by partnerships with University of Rhode Island Hillel, Congregation Beth David, URI College of Arts & Sciences, URI Health Services, URI Women's Center, URI Gender and Sexuality Center, URI Multicultural Student Services Center, URI Chaplains Association, URI Office of the Provost, URI Center for Nonviolence and Peace Studies, Kappa Delta Phi, URI Psychology Department, URI Housing and Residential Life.

_______________ |
|  |

| _______________

APRIL
27toMAY3

|  |

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:Jewish Film Festival
Make recommendations for our upcoming film festival!   |

_______________ |
|  |

| Looking for more events happening in the greater Rhode Island Jewish community?  |

| CHECK OUT THE COMMUNITY CALENDAR |

|  |

|  |

| Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island, 401 Elmgrove Avenue, Providence, RI 02906 |

| December 2019 |

|  |

| Visit our Blog |

| Season's Greetings! |

|  |  |
|  |  |

Providence Community Library wishes everyone - staff, patrons, volunteers as well as friends and supporters in the wider community - a peaceful, safe and happy holiday season and a wonderful 2020.
We look forward to seeing you again soon in your neighborhood library! Read more |

| Thank You for Your Generosity |

| We at Providence Community Library thank you for all the generosity that you have shown us so far in this season of giving. During the week of Giving Tuesday we were thrilled to receive $4,700 from library supporters, and donations continue to arrive in response to our year-end giving campaign. Every dollar makes a difference and helps us to provide more materials, services and programs for the people of Providence.
If you haven't yet given to PCL but would like to do so, there is still time to make a donation here.

|  |  |

|  |
Support PCL | Providence Community Library

Please give generously, and thank you again!
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| FUNDA Fest Workshops: Dates in January |

| If it's January, it's time for FUNDA Fest, the annual, statewide festival of storytelling from the Rhode Island Black Storytellers. Once again, PCL will be hosting several FUNDA Fest events, at the following dates and times:
Tuesday, January 21, 10AM at Knight Memorial LibraryTuesday, January 28, 6PM at Fox Point LibraryThursday, January 30, 4PM Washington Park Library
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| Inspirational Women: Voices, Stories and Portraits of Nine Rhode Island Women |

| "Inspirational Women" Multimedia ExhibitThursday,January 2 - Friday January 31 during library hoursRochambeau Library
Inspirational Women is a traveling multimedia exhibit from the Rhode Island YWCA documenting the voices, stories and portraits of Karen Allen Baxter, Becci Davis, Gail Davis, Ashley Faulkner (pictured at right), Courtney Hoggard-Savage, Melissa Husband, Kendall Moore, Beatrice Pulliam and Victoria Tolbert. It features portraits and video by photojournalist Kris Craig.
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| New Year 2020 ESL Programs - Sign Up Now! |

| A new season of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes (click on link for full list of locations, dates and times) will start in January at Knight Memorial, Mount Pleasant, Olneyville, Rochambeau, Smith Hill and Washington Park. The classes will run until May and will cover grammar, conversation and writing. Call Carolina Briones 401-467-2700 x1608 or email cbriones at provcomlib.org for more information.
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| New Class: Sewing with Siv |

| Thursdays beginning January 9, 10:30AM-12:00PMMount Pleasant Library
Would you like to learn basic sewing skills, or improve the ones you have, in a friendly, library environment? Starting in January, Mount Pleasant's Miss Siv will host a a new class every Thursday morning, where you can do just that! All materials will be provided.
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| Explore PCL's Digital Resources Anytime with Your Library Card! |

| Not too keen on the family's TV selections? Don't forget that your PCL library card gives you 24 hour access to high quality digital content every day of the year, including the Holidays! You can download eBooks to your device from the Ocean State Libraries eZone, stream movies and other quality videos from Kanopy (including unlimited videos from Kanopy Kids AND lectures from the Great Courses collection) and movies, music, audiobooks, ebooks, comics and TV shows from Hoopla. Bookmark this page to provide convenient access to all of these options. Enjoy!
Read More |

|  |

|  |

| Other Great Programs - In Brief |

| Manga ClubMonday, December 23, 4:00PM - 5:00PMFox Point Library
Saturday Streaming Movie - "Roma" (2018)Saturday, January 4, 3:00PM -5:45PMKnight Memorial Library
Conversations About RaceSaturday, January 11, 9:30AM-11:30AMRochambeau Library
Read More |

David:

Demystifying Democracy is right around the corner and we feel the anticipation building for our new series! We are one month away from hosting our first session, I’m Just a Bill (Held for Further Study).

Join us at the Metcalf Auditorium/RISD Museum for I’m Just a Bill (Held for Further Study) on Thursday, January 23, 6:00 pm- 7:30 pm and learn the basics of how the General Assembly makes laws, and how you can get involved, including by offering testimony on the issues you care about.

REGISTER HERE

State Representative Lauren Carson (D- Newport), State Representative Katherine Kazarian (D-Providence), and Common Cause Rhode Island Board Member and Save the Bay Advocacy Coordinator Jed Thorp will participate as panelists in our first event of the year! They will share insights on how the legislative process really works in Rhode Island and how you can become an effective advocate and find your voice.

*Panelists subject to change*

Demystifying Democracy is free and open to the public, but registration is required.

We hope to see you there!

Sam Ogundare,
and the team at Common Cause Rhode Island

ADDRESS:
Common Cause Rhode Island
245 Waterman Street, Suite 400A
Providence, RI 02906
401.861.2322

commoncause.org/rhode-island
Facebook
Twitter
Mak |

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Mayor Jorge O. Elorza <citynews at providenceri.gov>To: Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2019, 11:13:27 AM ESTSubject: Calling all Creatives!

Not displaying correctly? View this email in browser.

|  |

December 19, 2019

|  |

Photo credit: Matthew Huang

City of Providence News

|   |

|  |

HAGA CLIC AQUÍ PARA ESPAÑOL

 |  |

|  |

Dear Neighbor –

This June, the Creative Capital will once again come alive for PVDFest, Providence’s signature summer arts festival. From June 11-14, creatives from across the globe and around the corner will descend on our city for an unforgettable four-day experience. Every year, the PVDFest team puts out an open call for local and international artists, vendors, and merchants to bring their talents to the festival. To make PVDFest 2020 the best yet, we’ve extended the submission deadline to January 10, 2020.

For the last five years, the creative community has sparked our imagination and wowed audiences in extraordinary ways. This year, the sky is the limit, so bring your best projects, creations, and performances to help us curate a world class experience. Whether you are an interactive visual artist or a break-dancing troupe—PVDFest magic starts with you! To apply, visit PVDFest.com today.

While the festival needs creatives, they need something too—an audience! Last year’s crowd topped over 100,000 people and we know that this year’s party will be bigger and better. Show your friends you already have PVDFest on the mind by RSVP'ing to our Facebook event pages, available HERE. While the event lineup is still a blank slate, we’ll be painting in the details over the next couple of months.

PVDFest may come just once a year, but the Creative Capital brings PVDFest flavor all year long. To learn more about our cultural offerings, including two exciting public art calls, visit our Art, Culture + Tourism department’s website. Our talented ACT team personifies the spirit of the Creative Capital and their work—much like PVDFest—is for the people of Providence.

Mayor Jorge Elorza

|  |

 |  |

|   |