[Summit] Fw from RIDOT & RIPTA: 6/10 Connector, Pedestrian Bridge, Snow at Bus Shelters

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 15:19:17 CST 2019

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: RIDOT Communications <heidi.gudmundson at dot.ri.gov>To: Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019, 2:33:05 PM ESTSubject: Plan ahead for Sunday's big game

|   |

|  |

|             February 1, 2019 |

|  |

|  In This Issue  |

|  Carolina Bridges, Charlestown/Richmond  |
|  I-295 Corridor Bridge Improvements, Cumberland  |
|  Pound Hill Road Bridge, North Smithfield  |
|  Providence River Pedestrian Bridge, Providence  |
|  Route 6/10 Interchange Reconstruction, Providence  |
|  Victory Highway Bridge, West Greenwich  |

| - |

| Stay Connected       RIDOT's HomepageWeekly Traffic ForecastCustomer Service |

|  |

|  |

| Good afternoon, Plan ahead for Sunday's Super Bowl matchup between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams. Don't wait until you are buzzed to wonder how you will get home.  Make those arrangements before you go to a friend's house or a bar to watch the game. Go Pats! |

| - |

| Carolina Bridges, Charlestown/Richmond
Occasional work to install protective shielding for the next phase of demolition is anticipated within the 24-hour-a-day alternating one-way traffic pattern along Route 112 North and South, from Butter Lane to Carolina Mill Lane.  |

| - |

| I-295 Corridor Bridge Improvements, Cumberland
We are scheduled to place barrier on I-295 South at Leigh Road and Scott Road, with lane closures possible from Exit 22 to Exit 20, Monday-Thursday nights from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Daytime work behind barrier along I-295 North and South on Monday, and under the bridge on Scott Road and Leigh Road, Tuesday-Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. |

| - |

| Pound Hill Road Bridge, North Smithfield

Working behind barrier along Route 146 South with no lane closures anticipated, weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. |

| - |

| Providence River Pedestrian Bridge, Providence

Hand rail lighting and decking installation continues.

| - |

| Route 6/10 Interchange Reconstruction, Providence

Westminster Street, from Broadway to the Route 10 off-ramp, will be closed for Route 10 demolition, Wednesday and Thursday nights from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Follow signed detour. Left lane closure for construction on Route 6 West, from the Tobey Street on-ramp to the split with Route 10 South, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. |

| - |

| Victory Highway Bridge, West Greenwich

Operations continue behind barrier weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in both directions on Route 102 and I-95. We plan to install temporary construction signs and striping along Route 102. Nighttime utility work beyond the shoulder along Route 102 South. |

|  |

| Rhode Island Department of Transportation | http://www.dot.ri.gov

|  |

Rhode Island Department of Transportation

Two Capitol Hill

Providence, Rhode Island 02903

|   |

|  |

| Rhode Island Department of Transportation, Two Capitol Hill, Providence, RI 02903

SNOW REMOVAL FROM BUS SHELTERS

RIPTA has approximately 4,000 bus stops throughout the state and does not have the ability to clear snow from all those locations.

We rely on municipal governments, businesses and property owners to help with pedestrian safety by keeping sidewalks and bus stops clear. RIPTA does remove snow and ice at its transit hubs, such as Kennedy Plaza, and has hired a contractor to remove snow around the stops on the busy R-Line which runs from the Cranston-Providence line into downtown Pawtucket.

Since last winter, under a shelter contract, Street Smart Outdoor Advertising, is now responsible for clearing snow and ice from our roughly 285 shelters across the state within 24 to 48 hours after a storm.

Within 24 hours of snowfall, Street Smart Outdoor Advertising crews clear snow and ice from these 100 key stops along major bus routes; the remaining shelters will be cleaned within 48 hours of snowfall.

If there’s an issue with your bus shelter, please contact info at streetsmartoutdoor.com or call 888-468-1414.

|  |

NEW WHEELS: SMALLER, DODGE VANS JOIN RIde PROGRAM’S PARATRANSIT FLEET

RIPTA recently acquired five Dodge Caravan passenger vans for its RIde program as it continues to explore efficiencies that may result from diversifying its paratransit fleet. The vehicles are expected to be in use this month as our RIde staff finishes extensive training and testing to see how the smaller vehicles meet passenger needs.

RIPTA’s RIde program, administered in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), provides transportation for passengers whose disabilities prevent them from being able to use regular fixed-route bus service. Up until now, our RIde fleet has consisted of 16-passenger vans which work very well. We’re looking at the smaller Caravans to see how they will work for trips that only have a couple of passengers and we’d like to share some information about the new vehicles.

|  |

• The Dodge Caravans have side wheelchair ramps rather than the mechanical lifts that the 16-passenger vehicles are equipped with. These ramps are compliant with ADA and federal paratransit regulations, but they are narrower. These ramps are 30 inches wide as opposed to the 31 to 32 inch wide ramps we generally have on the larger vehicles. The Caravan will not be scheduled for passengers whose wheelchairs cannot fit on the ramp.

• In order to ensure passenger comfort, the maximum the Carvans will carry is three ambulatory passengers and one wheelchair client.

• The new Caravans are more fuel efficient and use gas, not diesel. We do want customers to know that they are also quieter. This may be an adjustment for some visually impaired customers who have told us that they listen for the sound of the vehicle approaching.

• Our RIde team is very interested in driver and passenger feedback. If customers would like to share their experience after riding on the new Caravans, they can email jsolomon at ripta.com or call 401-781-9500 x1430.

|   |

|  |

|  |

PRESIDENTS DAY, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2019

Just a reminder that RIPTA is running a regular schedule on Presidents Day.

Click here to view a list of legal holidays that will be observed by RIPTA in 2019.

|   |

©2019 RIPTA | 705 Elmwood Ave.| Providence, RI | 02907

 |  |