[Summit] Urgent: Immediate threat to East Side property taxes and home values

Andrew Nosal andy at mapcenter.com
Tue Jun 11 13:58:38 UTC 2019

A simpler formula would be to cap the dollar value of the exemption at say, 50% of the median single family house price.

Political imperatives of “wealth creation” do a lot of harm.  When house prices rise wealth is not being created.  Actual wealth is created only when housing units are created.  Exclusionary zoning and toleration of neglectful abandonment of foreclosed properties raise housing costs but do not create wealth.  They consolidate existing homeowners claims upon existing wealth, enrich mortgage lenders and put secure homes ever farther out of reach for everyone else.

If it is true that the more you tax something, the less of it there will be, an adequate home that everyone deserves should be taxed less, and unearned inflationary gains should be taxed more.  The proposed tax structure more or less does this.