[Summit] Clarification on homestead exemptions

Anne Holland aholland at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 15:29:58 CDT 2019

 As of last year “exemptions” are not the word that is used. Per Providence:
“There is no longer a homestead exemption. Instead, the City has two simple tax rates – an owner occupied rate of $18.80 and a non-owner occupied rate of $31.96”.
http://www.providenceri.gov/tax-assessor/exemptions/ <http://www.providenceri.gov/tax-assessor/exemptions/>

To get an exemption, as a new homeowner you must fill out this form — and BTW the DMV told me last week that they are now DOUBLECHECKING with other states to be sure that you don’t have two driver’s licenses and are claiming to be resident of two states (such as FL) I think for tax evasion purposes although I’m not sure
http://www.providenceri.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-2019-Owner-Occupied-Declaration.pdf <http://www.providenceri.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2018-2019-Owner-Occupied-Declaration.pdf>