[Summit] Marcus Mitchell

Emlyn Addison noisyblocks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:40:28 CDT 2014

My issue with the Ciancis (and Jacksons?) of the world is that everything
might be said to run fine with them at the helm, but falls apart as soon as
they leave, taking with them whatever support system might have made their
(alleged) successes happen in the first place. So with every incoming
electee, we're to start at zero again?

We need thinking that builds _sustainable_ systems and institutions; they
can't only work because one guy has some friends. With the right people
heading them, and sensible priorities, the systems we build should be
surviving and evolving.

I'm agree, in principle, with the charter school philosophy--to find the
best methods and practices--but I absolutely don't agree with how the
current model seeks to accomplish it: to effectively build a second set of
train tracks beside the existing one.

Despite this, I still favor Elorza. As with anything, the best course of
action likely sites somewhere in between. Here's a sound bite of Elorza on
leadership positions at schools:
https://soundcloud.com/bobplain-1/elorza-on-charter-schools

Of course, smart leadership is only the tip of the iceberg.