[Summit] Panhandlers

Theresa Mathiesen elvamath at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:38:28 CDT 2016

Right after Sept. 11, 2001, I observed something that bears on this topic
(panhandling).

I was in Tealuxe, on the corner of Thayer and Angell Streets.  (I went
there every day on my work breaks.)  Firemen were collecting money from
motorists stopped at the traffic light on Angell St., at the intersection
with Thayer St.  They were collecting for the families of the firemen
killed during the assault on the Twin Towers in New York City.  Lots of
people put money in the firemen's boots they held out.

But, ever the scientist, I wanted a "control" -- that is, another
situation, similar but different.  People were collecting money at the
intersection of North Main and Branch Ave.  Or maybe it was Smithfield.  In
those days the people collecting at these intersections wore smocks with
printing on them telling what they were collecting for, but I could never
see the smocks well enough to read them.  So we have to assume that their
charity, if there was one, was unknown.  And just as many drivers were
putting money into these people's baskets and cans as into the firemen's
boots!

My conclusion was and is that big intersections are fountains of free
money.  "Ask and ye shall receive".  No wonder the people are fighting over
them.

Elva