[Summit] Solar electricity and gas heating

Mikaila Mariel Lemonik Arthur mmlarthur at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:08:16 CDT 2016

Hi Sharon,

We have steam heat radiators, but they are running hot-water heat from a
gas boiler. We did not do the conversion--we bought the house already
converted. It is quite odd, but it works fine. When we bought the house,
we had a very old, small, inefficient boiler, which threw a lot of heat
in the basement and led to exorbitant utility bills. We have since
converted to a modern wall-mounted high efficiency system with separate
Rinnai heat-on-demand water unit. The utility bills definitely went down
considerably, and though you sometimes have to wait a bit for the water
to get hot, we never run out of hot water (even if we are running a
shower and the dishwasher at the same time). If we'd done the hot water
and the boiler simultaneously, we might have considered single units
that did both. The new units were expensive, but it really was a
worthwhile switch. We just had our regular (former) plumber put in the
units, and the only issue we've had in several years is that the hot
water unit occasionally needs to be flushed out because a little dirt
obscures one of the sensors (an easy thing to do yourself if the plumber
teaches you how).

--Mikaila