[Summit] Earth Day clean-ups of neighborhoods & parks this Sat. 22 April (final informal list)

David Kolsky davidjkolsky at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 18:13:42 UTC 2017

Hello, again,
This took far longer than it should have because of my wrestling with a perverse Yahoo! Mail, but here are the nearest Earth Day clean-ups I know about for this coming Saturday the 22nd.
The Thayer Street businesses, since they already pay for regular pick-up, are not organizing anything special this weekend. I have not heard back (either positively or negatively) from College Hill, the Summit neighborhood or the Hope Street merchants.
In order of proximity (closeness) to Wayland Square (since this originates in the Square’s Yahoo! Group), here are the five (or six) projects I know about or have learned about. Copious (although not always quite complete) details for each project at the end of this letter.

(1) Wayland Square (11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; start in Whole Foods’ parking lot on Waterman St.)(2) Blackstone Park & Woods (10 a.m. to noon; Irving Ave. at Loring Ave.; All materials provided)(3) India Point Park & Wickenden St. pedestrian bridge (9 a.m. to noon; park side of India St. bike-path tunnel; Some tools provided)(4) Fox Point (9 a.m. to noon; Providence River Park near the hurricane barrier; please bring any tools you have)(5) West Broadway(a) Neighborhood Spring Cleanup & GreenUp  (9 a.m. to noon; W. Bdwy Neighborhood Ass’n, 1560 Westminster St. at Bainbridge, near Cranston St. Armory; Please wear work clothes & bring any tools you have)(b) Building of Bocce courts & chess-boards (8 a.m. to noon; Dexter grounds of the Armory, near corner of Parade & Hollywood Streets)
Whatever you do this weekend (which is also busy at Brown University), I hope it’s a good one.
Dave
(1) Wayland Square Neighborhood Association & Wayland Square Business Association

WAYLAND
SQUARE
SPRING CLEAN UP

April 22 , 2017
11:00am-12:30pm
- Whole Foods -
Waterman

Bring the family & grab a bag
to do your part for Earth Day 2017!
Participants will receive ALL below offers
from your local Wayland Square Merchants!

Whole Foods: FREE Whole Foods favorites Goodie Bag
Wayland Bakery: 1 FREE cookie
Massage Envy: FREE Enhanced therapy session
Washington Trust: FREE tote bag
Reliable Gold: FREE Ring Cleaning
Salted Slate: 1 FREE Bloody Mary or Mimosa with Brunch
J.Mclaughlin: FREE Prosecco & sweet treats
McBride’s Pub: 1 FREE drink ticket from Spring menu
Citron Spa: FREE $10 w/$50 or $25 w/$100 GC purchase
Opt Eyewear: $50 OFF nonprescription sunglasses
BSC (Boston Sports Club): $25 OFF monthly memberships
Providence Perfume: 15% OFF 1 item
Order Up: $200 in Gift Cards giveaways & FREE tote
Wendy Brown Home: 20% OFF Tea Towels & Napkins
Dorthy Williams: 20% OFF 1 regular priced item
Books on the Square: 20% OFF 1 item
CladIn: 20% OFF 1 item
The Olive Tap: 15% OFF your ENTIRE purchase
Mrs Robinson: 10% OFF Sleepwear
Minerva’s Pizza: 10% OFF 1 menu item
Pasta Beach: 15% OFF ENTIRE meal
West Elm : 25% OFF one IN STOCK item

(2) Blackstone Parks Conservancy

Please join Us For
Earth Day Spring Cleaning
in Blackstone Park

Saturday April 22
10 A.M.- Noon
Irving Ave at Loring Ave
Providence, RI
all materials provided

Please register at

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/earth-day-spring-cleaning-in-blackstone-park-tickets-33734478734

(3) Friends of India Point Park & Partnership for Providence Parks

http://friendsofindiapointpark.org/pdfs/Flyer-2017.pdf

Friends of India Pt. Pk.
17th Annual Spring Clean Up
SATURDAY, APRIL 22, 9-12

Rain date: Saturday PM or Sunday.

Check FB or
friendsindiapointpark at gmail.com
for updates.

WHERE:
Meet on the park side of the bike path tunnel under India St.
(near the shore in the middle of the Park)

WHY:
Join people of all ages in springtime sprucing up of the Park:
·
Pick up litter
(We provide bags.)
·
Weed, prune, mulch, and lay down weed barriers in garden beds
·
Replant part of the pedestrian bridge ramps with native plants

FREE EATS:
Coffee, snacks, and hard-earned pizza at noon!

PLEASE CONFIRM IF YOU’RE COMING:
on our Facebook Page or to email below.

WE PROVIDE:
Work gloves, lawn bags, and some tools.
Please bring your own shovels, clippers, and rakes too

FOR MORE INFO:
friendsindiapointpark at gmail.com
or call 401 486-6993

SPONSORED BY:
Friends of India Point Park & Partnership for Providence Parks

TO DONATE:
If you can’t come to our cleanup, or if you can, please make a
tax-deductible contribution – any amount will help! –
to our fund for native, drought-resistant plants for
the pedestrian bridge by going to our website at
www.friendsofindiapointpark.org,
or our Facebook page.

Thank you

(4) Fox Point Neighborhood Association

FPNA  Earth Day Cleanup
Saturday, April 22
9am-noon

We will be hosting our annual Earth Day clean up this year at a small park that is right next to the I-195 Bridge down the street toward India Point Park from the Hot Club. We will be planting new perennials, cleaning, de-weeding and mulching. If there’s any extra hands we will also clean in the surrounding areas. Hope you can join us for what will hopefully be a beautiful morning on the river! Please bring any tools you’ve got - including gloves and shovels.

Learn more on our Facebook Event Page here

http://fpna.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=fdb7e391b9bf39d6bcd960c13&id=df282bd175&e=4312a52de4

Hope to see you there!

(5) West Broadway Neighborhood Association

https://www.wbna.org/events/2017/4/22/34th-annual-neighborhood-spring-cleanup

(a) Neighborhood Spring Cleanup (& GreenUp!)

    Saturday, April 22, 2017
    9:00am 12:00pm

    * Starts at WBNA Headquarters * 1560 Westminster Street Providence, RI  02909  (near the Cranston St. Armory)

Join friends, kids and neighbors for WBNA’s Annual Neighborhood Spring Cleanup. For 34 years West Siders have come together to make a huge and visible impact on the cleanliness and safety of our neighborhood. This event is not only fun, it’s gratifying!

NEW THIS YEAR: CLEANUP AND GREENUP

We understand that some neighbors may want to go beyond the cleanup to beautify their streets. This year we encourage those with spring fever of the gardening variety to add greening projects to their Spring Cleanup plan. These efforts could include planting bulbs, giving some love and attention to our city street trees, or adopting a little corner of our neighborhood to do some guerrilla gardening.

Did you know that street trees are part of a stewardship program between the City and Providence residents? That means the tree outside your house, whether you own or rent, is technically yours to care for. Weeding and mulching is a great way to give your tree a great start to its growing season.

KIDS ZONE AT DEXTER & ELLERY PARKS

Kids Zone and Cleanup Activities are happening on Cleanup day at both Dexter Training Ground and at Ellery/Major Park and are hosted by West Side Play Space and West Side Kids Committee.

Kids Zone at Dexter Training Ground is 10-11:30am and features an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt and Upcycled Bird Feeder Workshop. Kids Zone and Cleanup at Ellery Park is 2-4pm and includes Nature Printing with Clay, making Pine Cone Bird Feeders and Planting Perennials. Contact info at westsideplayspace.com for more information.

HOW IT WORKS

Start at the WBNA at 9am and enjoy free breakfast treats while rallying with neighbors and street captains (to become a street captain for your street, click here). Please wear work clothes, and bring gloves and tools (if you have them: rakes, square shovels, brooms).

Then you and your Street Team are off to hit those troubled areas in the neighborhood. Get that abandoned mattress off your street, attack that debris-strewn lot, or weed and clean some tree pits!

A long standing partnership with the City of Providence allows for trash pickups at designated locations as well as street sweeping on Cleanup Day.

PLEASE NOTE: E-waste dropoff is NOT available this year, unfortunately. For information on how to dispose of electronic waste, please visit Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation.

After all this work is done, come back to the WBNA and enjoy a FREE BBQ with your fellow cleanup volunteers.

CLEANUP SCHEDULE

   -     9:00am  /  Meet @ WBNA, enjoy breakfast items, form teams with street captains and other volunteers
   -     9:30am  /  Street Teams set off to designated cleanup areas
   -     10-11:30am  /  KIDS ZONE at Dexter Training Ground (Parade Street side)
   -     12:00pm  /  Meet back at the WBNA for a free BBQ for volunteers
   -     2-4pm  /  KIDS ZONE at Major aka Ellery Park (Ellery & Wendell Streets)

CLEANUP TIPS

   -     Check with your street captain for designated trash pickup locations
   -     Sweep sand, leaves and other debris into the street for street sweepers
   -     Street sweepers come the day after the cleanup on Sunday, April 23
   -     Residents of Messer and Sycamore Streets, please sweep debris from behind the planter boxes into the street
   -     Try to park off street for sweeping
   -     As tempting as it might be, do not put gravel, rocks, or sand into garbage bags, or otherwise overload garbage bags. It causes the bags to break and then our efforts are undone!

________

(b) Bocce court & Ches board Build Begins

After months of planning and collaboration between neighbors and the Providence Parks Department, WBNA is excited to announce that Phase I of Bocce Courts and Chess in the Park will be underway as a special project during the Annual Spring Cleanup on Saturday, April 22.

A gift of the Jeffrey family, this public project will restore bocce courts to Dexter Training Ground along with chess tables for all to enjoy. Phase I includes building two tournament length bocce courts and will be completed on Cleanup day. Phase II will happen in early summer with the installation of three chess tables as well as a sign made by the Steel Yard.

¶ While we need most of our volunteer power for the Spring Cleanup, we are looking for a handful of helpers to assist with moving, cutting and assembling large timbers as well as spreading stone dust.

The Parks Department will start work a few days ahead to dig out the courts and lay the gravel and clay mix. On build day neighbor-volunteers will work with Parks Department employees on assembling the courts and putting down the final court surface.

Start time is 8am on Saturday but sleepy volunteers are welcome to head over after grabbing coffee and a breakfast treat at 9am at WBNA HQ. Look for our WBNA Bocce Committee Crew Leaders Ben and Seth in the build area near the corner of Parade and Hollywood Streets.

This donation was given to the WBNA in honor of Bob and Gilda Jeffrey, an example and force of positive change in the neighborhood. For more information about this project, please visit Bocce Courts and Chess in the Park at https://www.wbna.org/bocce-court/