[Summit] Please don't get in or on the fountain

Thomas Schmeling thomas.a.schmeling at gmail.com
Sat May 20 13:25:58 UTC 2017

> On May 20, 2017, at 8:41 AM, Emlyn Addison <noisyblocks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think most of us were here when the restoration got underway. I think it's precisely this fact that has some of us now scratching our heads about the ongoing expense of this sometimes-running almost-a-fountain.

There’s no question that the follow-up on the fountain renovation has not been what it should be, and that’s putting it mildly. The Parks Department has dropped the ball on maintenance and has not been as competent cooperative as I believe that it should have been. We have not been as vigilant in keeping them on the ball as we should have been. (I’ll leave the content of that “we” open).  I think Ethan’s call for Parks Director Wendy Nilsson to attend a public forum to hear the neighborhood’s views is exactly the right first step toward remedying that.  I’ll be very surprised if she does not agree to talk to, and listen to, the neighborhood.

> I don't think any of us expected the draw it would have with kids. It's akin to creating a big, beautiful garden labyrinth then prohibiting children from playing in it.

I agree that it’s unreasonable to simply ask kids to stay out of it if there is no alternative on a hot day. I’m listening for the solution that makes as many people happy as possible, and I’m confident that ripping out the Anthony fountain is not that solution. Perhaps it’s finding a way to let kids play in the fountain. Perhaps it’s adding a splash fountain for the kids, maybe over by the playground.

Neighbors working together got the fountain fixed.  We got the playground built.  I’m pretty sure we can manage something here too if we work together.

best regards,
Tom