[Summit] Plastic Bags

Greg Gerritt gerritt at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 27 19:37:25 CDT 2018

Most of the supermarkets that are low price leaders already charge for bags.
The goal is to massively reduce plastic.  And put a fee on polluting .
Plus, I thijnk the low income issue is not factualy based.  Countries much
poorer than the USA, (Kenya) banned plastic bags.  5 other towns in RI
already have banned bags. Cities across America have banned bagss.  The
outcry was looud about the poor each time, but the adverse affecdts are just
not happening.  People still find a cheap way to carry things.  Most
homeless people carry a backpack or somehting.  They can store durable
plastic bags that they buy for 10 cents in the backpack for when they need
them.

The only people who  this will actually adversely affect are those with zero
cash income.  Which means SNAP so they can eat and nothing else.  That is
rather unusual in the USA.  People with nothing have to be a bit frugal.
They can keep a bag.  Women with children carry rather large purses or some
other bag that can store a bag or two just like the other supplies they
carry.  Maybe two weeks before actual impementation we give away the
reusable bags and remind folks to hold onto them for future use,  and it can
say reuse this bag often in however many languages are appropriate.

Anyone with cash buying from a store, 90% of the time the change will pay
for at least one bag ( and if you question that do the math)  Your change
will always be between 1 cent and 99 cents and the distribution is
essentially random, which means that 90% of the time it will be at least 10
cents.

Think about it another way.  Plastic bags that do not break easily if you
have a load in them are a valuable resource, Worth 10 cents.  Put a value on
them and people will reuse them.  Which is the whole point.  Or do we just
give in to the craziness of consumerism?

Greg gerritt