[Summit] Projo: Brown plans to knock down 7 College Hill buildings for new parking lot

Aaron Masri amasri1 at cox.net
Thu Jan 14 11:19:33 UTC 2016

I don't agree that more parking is needed on Thayer Street, but I get the point that people feel that this is the case.  This parking lot will provide 80 spaces.  There's a number of less destructive ways that 80 spaces can be created.  What about Brown University allowing parking in their private lots on the weekends?  They could also allow the public to park on those streets that the city abandoned when Mayor Taveras renegotiated the PILOT agreement.  They could add a deck to one of the surface lots they already own.  Or they could pursue one or more of the strategies outlined in the Planning Department Study that I linked.  It's sad that an institution such as Brown University with its vast resources is choosing the lowest possible usage for valuable real estate and not heeding the lessons learns by other preservation efforts, such as Benefit Street.
---- Anne Diffily <adiff11 at gmail.com> wrote:

But is a multilevel parking garage any worse than a flat blacktop lot at
ground level?

The truth is that more parking is needed to absorb the needs of the Thayer
commercial strip.... not just the stores serving local students, but lots
of nice/interesting restaurants, the Avon Cinema, etc. that appeal to
year-round residents.

Just MHO.

Anne